Philadelphia dating guide advises how to pick up Pennsylvanian girls and how to hookup with local women in Philadelphia. Travel, enjoy and have fun with hot single girls and you might even meet the love of your life. Read more on how to date Pennsylvanian women, where to find sex and how to get laid in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States of America.
Philadelphia is situated in Southeastern Pennsylvania and it is the fifth most populous city in the United States of America. The city is fondly called "Philly" and it sits adjacent to the borders of Delaware and New Jersey with its metropolitan area encompassing counties in Delaware, New Jersey and Pennsylvania. Philadelphia, which used to be the capital of the United States of America, is known for its world class laboratories, companies, museums, universities, architecture and being a valuable cultural and artistic center.
- 1 Girls in Philadelphia
- 2 How to Pick Up Girls
- 3 Dating
- 4 Top Dating Tips
- 5 Online Dating
- 6 Live Cam Dating
- 7 What Kind of Guys Have the Best Chances
- 8 Risks while Gaming
- 9 How to Get Laid as Soon as Possible
- 10 Gold Diggers and Sugar Babies
- 11 Swinger Clubs and Naturism
- 12 Costs of Living
- 13 Accommodation
- 14 How to Get There and Move Around
- 15 Digital Nomads and Remote Work
- 16 Internet and Mobile Operators
- 17 Gambling and Casinos
- 18 Weed and Drugs
- 19 Health, Fitness, Gyms and Massage
- 20 STDs and HIV
- 21 Stay Safe
- 22 See Also
Girls in Philadelphia
Philadelphia is made up of many beauties and the uniqueness of its Philly girls are inclusive. Girls in Philadelphia are fondly referred to as Philly girls and they are famous for their attractiveness and exceptional personalities. Philadelphia girls are the passionate type and they always say whatever is in their mind without any iota of timidity or trepidation. If you're doing what they like, they will tell you straight and if you're doing otherwise, they won't hesitate to blurt it out to you. Philly girls also love to dance, especially to hip-hop. At a very young age, Philly girls learn to booty dance and this is why dancing runs through their veins. Regardless of nerdiness or any skill of whatsoever, you will meet a lot of them at the dancefloor in a club. Because there is a high number of universities and colleges in the city, you'll meet a lot of cute Philly girls who love arts, theater and literature. To include, you'll meet the history buffs who are keen on cultural and historical values. Philadelphia girls love to eat snacks; tastykakes and cheesesteaks are their favorites and they love to go to Wawa to get a salted caramel-flavored coffee, soft pretzels, hoagies and cheesesteaks. Another kind of girls you will meet in Philadelphia are the bike lovers. These kind of Philly girls love biking more than anything and to see a lot of them, go to Fairmount Park. Generally, Philadelphia girls are smart, brilliant, artistic, creative, funny and fun to be with.
Philadelphia girls are good-looking, attractive, sexy and they even look prettier when wearing their beautiful and gorgeous smile. Make sure you stay guided because you can fall in love at the slightest smile of a Philly girl. Girls of different colors are in Philadelphia. In the beautiful city, you will find a good number of White, Black and Asian girls to include Chinese, Indian, Vietnamese, Filipino, Korean and Japanese. Latino girls are not excluded, Cuban, Mexican and sexy Puerto Rican ladies are present in Philadelphia.
Although some people have a stereotype notion about people of Philadelphia being mean and rude but, this is false. Philadelphians generally are known for their "brotherly love" and their honesty is often misconstrued for meanness.
How to Pick Up Girls
Picking up girls in Philadelphia is not in any way a daunting task. Remember that Philadelphia girls are lover of fun and for you to pick up a Philly girl, you need to go to places where fun is served exclusively. There are some juicy spots in the city where you can pick up Philadelphia girls like bars, lounges and nightclubs such as dive bars, neighborhood bars, popular bars, hotel bars, cocktail lounges, hookah/shisha bars, dance clubs, player's clubs and house clubs. You can also pick up Philly girls at spots where girls love to frequent daily like top and nice restaurants. You could even get to discuss over the nicest place to get a cheesesteak. Although the two popular places to get a cheesesteak in the city are Pat’s and Geno’s, you can chip in your own thought or observation smartly and win her over.
Tips for Daytime
Hooking up with a Philly girl in the day does not require too much and you have a very good chance of getting hooked up and even get laid with Philadelphia girls provided that you are smart and not the arrogant type.
Best Places to Meet Girls
The area around Center City is one of the best places to meet women in Philadelphia especially when it's lunch hour or when work has ended for the day. At this area, you will meet a lot of businesswoman who will move to close-by different restaurants, cafes, and bars after their shift ends. However, the area can be quite hectic but you'll sure meet a lot of Philly women at this area. On a nice afternoon, you can also meet tourist girls in Philadelphia at the Liberty Bell or other touristy areas. Shopping malls are also ideal for meeting girls in Philadelphia, here is a list of shopping districts and malls to meet girls in Philadelphia:
- Philadelphia Mills
- The Shops at Liberty Place
- Plymouth Mall
- King of Prussia
You can also meet girls in Philadelphia at running groups in the city. The Fishtown Beer Runners is one of the largest running groups in the city and you'll find a lot of female participants with whom you can strike up a conversation and ask out on a date later. The group meets at 2346 E. Susquehanna Ave, every Thursday at 7 p.m. for a 3- to 5-mile run.
Tips for Nighttime
The downtown areas and the Center City are the best areas for singles nightlife in the city with lots of party hot spots. Rittenhouse Square is another area that is good for having a nice time every night of the week as it is loaded with bars and flooded with single women in Philadelphia. Here is a list of other singles bars with a very good nightlife for singles in Philadelphia:
- Assembly: It is a famous rooftop lounge on top of the Logan Hotel. Its views include Philadelphia’s art and museum district as well as the Benjamin Franklin Parkway. You will find variance of champagnes and other bubbly wines and cocktails on the bar menu. If you're looking for the beer kind of girl in Philadelphia, get yourself to Assembly and join her to choose from bottled libations like Evil Genius Pineapple Hefeweizen and Yards PPA. Assembly is at 1840 Ben Franklin Pkwy, Philadelphia, PA.
- Stratus Lounge: Stratus is one of the favorite spots of single women in Philadelphia because of its splendid features, beautiful maple tree, historic block location and its cozy fireplace which is a cool scene for singles. The kind of drinks you will find in this venue are Dock Street Bohemian Pils, Zonin Prosecco and a Screaming O. Food options in Stratus Lounge include boozy chocolate truffles, pork belly toast, and prosciutto-wrapped dates. Stratus Lounge is at 433 Chestnut St, Philadelphia, PA.
- City Tap House: The singles bar has a good number of outdoor seating as well as a 120-seat dining room with over 60 craft beers on tap. The bar hosts quiz nights and other weekly events which encourages boys to mingle with single girls. The Philly Bar Scene voted the City Tap House from 2011 to 2015 as the “Best Bar to Watch the Game.” City Tap House is at 39th and Walnut Street, Philadelphia, PA.
- Saint Benjamin Taproom: It is situated in the Kensington area of Philadelphia and it operates six days a week. During weekends, the bar is open from 11 a.m. to 2 a.m on Saturday through Sunday and on weekdays, it is open from 4 p.m. to 2 a.m on Tuesday through Friday. The bar has a relation to Benjamin Franklin, the founding father, who was also a notable home brewer. Single ladies in Philadelphia love to visit this bar because of its reputation and the nice beers that help keep conversations flowing. Saint Benjamin Taproom is at 1710 N 5th St, Philadelphia, PA 19122.
Best Nightclubs to Meet Girls
Here is a list of the best nightclubs and pick up bars to meet girls in Philadelphia:
- Silk City at 435 Spring Garden St.
- 1500 Lounge at 1500 Sansom St.
- Pulse Nightclub at 1526 Sansom St.
- B Side Complex at 939 North Delaware Avenue.
- Bleu Martini at 24 S 2nd St.
- The 700 at 700 N 2nd St.
- Johnny Brenda’s at 1201 Frankford Ave.
- Frankford Hall Beer Garden at 1210 Frankford Ave.
- Continental Midtown at 1801 Chestnut St.
- Good Dog Bar at 224 S 15th St.
The nightlife in Philadelphia is especial and one of a kind. Although many who haven't been to the city would argue of its stupefying nightlife but the veracity of the matter is, if you visit the right spots at night in the city, you will sure have a wonderful time.
Mature Ladies and Cougars
Hooking up with an older lady in Philadelphia is feasible provided that you know where Philadelphia Cougars convene. Here is a list of the best spots to hook up with cougars in Philadelphia:
- Parc: The Parc, which is situated in upmarket Rittenhouse Square is one of the nicest places to meet Cougars in Philadelphia. Sophisticated ladies and mature women in Philadelphia visit this place for relaxation and to have a pleasant chat over a delicious meal. With an extensive wine list inclusive, there is an array of exquisite dishes on the menu to give you a pleasurable gustation.
- Rouge at 205 S. 18th St: This is one of the places where you'll meet mature women in Philadelphia. The glamour and sophistication of this bar is peculiar and you must get ready to dig deep in your pockets to pay for the drinks. The kind of older ladies you'll meet at this venue are the high-class and sophisticated ones, for you to impress them, dress smartly, smell nice and look confident.
- Devon: You will get the best seafood in the city at this venue. You will spot a lot of Philadelphia Cougars at this venue as they often come in groups to have a pleasant evening. The competition for Philadelphia Cougars at this venue is very fierce. For you to make a good impression and get hooked up with an older lady at this venue, put on a blazer, be assertive and look very charming.
- Rittenhouse Square: If you're going on a hunt for Cougars in Philadelphia, Rittenhouse Square is a popular place in Philadelphia that welcomes this type of your quest. This unique venue is a fun and sociable space to engage in a conversation with Cougars in Philadelphia because of its many outdoor festivals and trendy art sales.
- Trader Joes: This upmarket, organic supermarket Trader Joes, is not well-known to many but it's one of the best places to meet cougars in Philadelphia. Although one might not think of a supermarket as a sociable spot to meet mature women in Philadelphia but this supermarket's organic produce attracts a large number of older women in Philadelphia who love to maintain a healthy lifestyle.
When visiting Philadelphia, dating can be a fun and interesting experience. AdultFriendFinder.com, lets you meet local members in Philadelphia and get to know them on a personal basis before you arrive. It just takes a few minutes, you simply create an account, upload a few images and tell a little about yourself. Since time in your destination may be limited, get to know each other’s desires beforehand so when you do meet, you can skip the awkward introductions and start having some real fun.
Top Dating Tips
Dating a local girl in Philadelphia can be quite overwhelming because Philadelphia girls are enthusiastic and loud, they would always tell you how they feel without any timidity. Philadelphia girls love a good Philly cheesesteak, you can take her to wine and dine at any of these amorous cocktail bars and restaurants:
- Moshulu at 401 S Christopher Columbus Blvd.
- Amada at 217-219 Chestnut Street.
- Talula’s Garden at 210 W Washington Square.
- Rangoon at 112 N 9th St.
- R2L Restaurant at 50 S 16th St 37th floor.
- Friday Saturday Sunday at 261 S. 21st St.
- El Rey at 2013 Chestnut St.
- Ashton Cigar Bar at 1522 Walnut St.
- The Franklin Bar at 112 S 18th S.
- Zahav at 237 St. James Pl., Philadelphia, PA 19106.
- Vetri at1312 Spruce St., Philadelphia, PA 19107.
- Barbuzzo at 110 S. 13th. St., Philadelphia, PA 19107.
- Butcher and Singer at 1500 Walnut Street, Philadelphia, PA.
- Dalessandro Steaks at 600 Wendover St., Philadelphia, PA 19128.
- Morimoto at 723 Chestnut St., Philadelphia, PA 19106.
You will find numerous great date spots in Rittenhouse Square where you can grab a nice drink and find something fun to do that was not actually planned before. If you're on a date night, take her to Helium Comedy Club at 2031 Sansom St or let her see a show at Kimmel Center or Merriam Theater. If it's a day date, you can visit any of these outdoor areas:
- One Liberty Observation Deck
- Race Street Pier
- Walk along the Delaware River
- Dilworth Park
- Pennypack Park
- Independence National Park
If you like the idea of involving alcohol on your day date, these bars will be very cool for that:
- Barcade at 1114 Frankford Ave.
- North Bowl at 909 North 2nd Street.
- Dave & Buster’s at 325 N Christopher Columbus Blvd.
Online dating is very active in Philadelphia because it is the cheapest, simplest and quickest way to meet women in Philadelphia. Here is a list of the most used online dating websites in Philadelphia:
- OkCupid: This online dating site depends on social interaction and self-commentary from its members. It collects profile information through social networking activities such as email, public forums, blogs and instant messaging as well as through insightful and entertaining quizzes. The site is free to all.
- Bumble: A large number of local girls in Philadelphia are signed up on Bumble because they believe they'll get to meet their fellow local guys too and not just tourists. One good thing about this dating website is that it is the ladies who make the first move. If you're a good gamer, you'll get hooked up with lots of local Philadelphia girls on this online dating website.
- PlentyofFish (POF): POF depends on a “chemistry test” in the creation of profiles. This test tracks the distinct personality dimensions which are important in maintaining a romantic relationship. Members can send messages to anyone that interest them after seeing their profiles. Even without signing up on the website, one can view the well organized and heavily used forums. The online site also has video and audio chat available. There are both free and paid membership but the paid version is likely to increase one's chance of meeting love.
- EHarmony: You would totally agree that there are lots of challenges in dating as a single parent especially in a beautiful city with unique girls like Philadelphia. The good news is, dating a single parent has been made very easy with eHarmony. With over 15 million members, you can find your compatible single parent and kick-start your fresh love journey.
- Tinder: When it comes to finding a quick fling, virtually everyone sees Tinder as a last resort. Guys who want to meet beautiful girls in Philadelphia on this dating site must be very attractive or else they will have a very tough time getting hooked up with a Philadelphia girl because there are lots of girls that are getting spammed non-stop. Make sure you upload a very cute and nice photo of yours that will help you stand out from others.
Live Cam Dating
Chat with live web camera models and find the best girl for your needs. Disclaimer: Chatting with the hot models is very addictive! Check out which girls are online now: LiveJasmin.com
What Kind of Guys Have the Best Chances
Apart from money being a tool that increases the volume of attraction to females generally, there are other things that can give you an edge over others to get laid with girls in Philadelphia. As a newcomer, you'll make a whole lot of impression on local girls in Philadelphia if you can speak slangs or native language in the city like “scrapple” instead of meat and “jimmies” instead of sprinkles. In addition to this, a good knowledge of arts and music will do you good as well. To include, Philadelphia girls love to dance and if you're a good dancer, you will make a good impression. Nonetheless, you should not forget to be straightforward, speak smartly and smell nice too.
Risks while Gaming
There is a very slim chance of running into aggressive people while gaming. Just make sure you are very conscious of your surroundings and don't step on people's toes.
How to Get Laid as Soon as Possible
It takes a gradual process to get laid with Philadelphia girls but if you're up for fast gaming, the best option is to sign up on online dating sites. Lots of beautiful girls in Philadelphia looking for who to have sex with are on these online sites and to get laid with any of them, you just have to reciprocate the same action by registering. Either you're looking for Asians, Whites, Latina sexy girls or cute African-American girls in Philadelphia to have sex with, these online dating sites have good potentials for your bidding.
Gold Diggers and Sugar Babies
The Sugar Baby scene in Philadelphia is still quite new but there are a lot of beautiful young girls looking for a Sugar Daddy. The best and safest way to hook up with a Sugar Baby is online. At SecretBenefits.com there is a wide selection of nice girls who are looking for an older guy to take care of them. These babes are easy to approach and you can settle everything before meeting up.
Anyone can be a sugar daddy. Just create your free account at SecretBenefits and start enjoying the wide selection of Sugar Babies available.
Swinger Clubs and Naturism
Swinger clubs also referred to as lifestyle clubs are informal or formal groups that are committed to organizing activities that are sex-related. Unlike brothels where sex workers are paid to have sex with, patrons of Swinger clubs are only permitted to have sex with other patrons after paying an annual membership fee. You can always find few swinger clubs situated in and close to Philadelphia.
Costs of Living
Cost of living in Philadelphia is not really expensive compared to other big cities in the United States of America like San Francisco and New York.
Due to the fair cost of living, a budget spending of $145 - $195 should suffice per day except if you have an extravagant lifestyle.
Accommodation in Philadelphia can be a little bit high-priced or considerably low-priced depending on the area you are residing in.
- Domestic Beer (0.5 liter bottle) in a grocery shop 2.73 $
- Imported Beer (0.33 liter bottle) in a grocery shop 3.40 $
- Water (1.5 liter bottle) in a grocery shop 2.02 $
- Bottle of Wine (Mid-Range) in a grocery shop 15.00 $
- Domestic Beer (0.5 liter draught) in a restaurant 5.00 $
- Imported Beer (0.33 liter bottle) in a restaurant 7.00 $
- Cappuccino (regular) in a restaurant 3.82 $
- Coke/Pepsi (0.33 liter bottle) in a restaurant 1.82 $
- Water (0.33 liter bottle) in a restaurant 1.22 $
- Meal, Inexpensive Restaurant 15.00 $
- Meal for 2 People, Mid-range Restaurant, Three-course 55.00 $
- McMeal at McDonalds (or Equivalent Combo Meal) 7.00 $
If you're staying in Philadelphia for a month and you're considering renting an apartment, here is a list of the monthly rent for diverse types of apartment:
- Apartment (1 bedroom) in City Centre $1,500
- Apartment (1 bedroom) Outside of Centre $1,000
- Apartment (3 bedrooms) in City Centre $2,840
- Apartment (3 bedrooms) Outside of Centre $1,660
If you're staying in the city for a short stay, there are lots of good hotels you can always lodge in for the night(s). However, if you want to enjoy the city better, booking a hotel near an area in the city that has a very good nightlife will help you speed up getting laid in your gaming. Center City in Philadelphia is full of lots of potential for both the night and the day, here is a list of the best hotels in the area, ranging from the lowest price to the highest:
- Club Quarters Hotel in Philadelphia at 1628 Chestnut St; Price starts from $109.
- DoubleTree by Hilton Philadelphia Center City at 237 S. Broad St., Philadelphia; Price starts from $113.
- Philadelphia Marriott Downtown at 1201 Market St; Price starts from $119.
- Hampton Inn Philadelphia-Center City-Convention Ctr at 1601 Raxe St; Price starts from $122.
- Wyndham Philadelphia Historic District at 400 Arch Street, Philadelphia; Price starts from $127.
How to Get There and Move Around
By air: Philadelphia International Airport (PHL): In Delaware Valley, it is largest airport and it is served by the SEPTA R1 Regional Rail Line and taxi. American Airlines is the predominant carrier at Philadelphia International Airport and it offers flights to destinations in the whole of the United States of America Europe and Latin America.
Northeast Philadelphia Airport: It began operation in 1945 and it is the 6th busiest airport in Pennsylvania. Presently, it doesn't have scheduled commercial airline service and it functions as the city's general aviation airport.
Newark Liberty International Airport (EWR IATA ) and Baltimore-Washington International Airport are the other airports in Philadelphia.
By bus: Philadelphia is served by Bieber, Trailways, Greyhound, and Peter Pan bus routes to cities across the United States of America. For anyone who wants to get to Philadelphia from Washington, D.C. or New York City, the Chinatown Bus service is a low-cost bus option.
- Megabus: It provides service from Washington, D.C., New York City, Hampton, Richmond, Boston, Syracuse, Buffalo, Toronto, Harrisburg, State College, Pittsburgh and Baltimore with fares starting at $1.
- BoltBus: It provides service from New York City, Boston and Newark with fares starting at $1.
- Bieber Tours: It renders roundtrip service from Philadelphia Bus Terminal to other locations in eastern Pennsylvania and Allentown.
- Metropolitan Shuttle: It offers rental bus services and charter buses.
By car:Philadelphia is linked within and to surrounding cities by freeways such as the Interstate 95, the Roosevelt Expressway, I-676 and I-76.
By train: Jefferson and Suburban are the hubs for commuter rail in the city with connections to Amtrak.
By boat: Between April and September, the RiverLink and Freedom Ferry services offers transport to neighboring New Jersey, Camden, from Philadelphia. The ferry service also provides access to an aquarium and other waterfront attractions.
Visas:If you want to visit Philadelphia in Pennsylvania for a period of 90 days or less without a need for visa, you may apply for the Visa Waiver Program. However, there are certain criteria you must meet to travel with this opportunity. One of them is to be a citizen or National of a VWP-participant country. Currently, there are just 38 countries worldwide that are participants of Visa Waiver Program. Another option for you to travel to Philadelphia in Pennsylvania as a non-US citizen is to obtain a visitor or tourist visa.
Digital Nomads and Remote Work
Digital nomads are the kind of persons that utilize telecommunications technologies to survive day by day. These kind of workers often work remotely from recreational vehicles, co-working spaces, public libraries, coffee shops or foreign countries with the use of wireless internet enabled devices. If you're a digital nomad in Philadelphia, remote works you will likely find in the city are Clinique Online Customer Service Social, Care Coordinator, Data Entry Clerk, Social Media Jockey, Medical Scribe, Writing Tutor, Freelance Update Editor, Customer Service Representative e.t.c.
Internet and Mobile Operators
Best Internet Provider in Philadelphia
- Verizon - Fast upload and download speeds
- Xfinity - High speeds widely available
- Spectrum - No data caps
- Viasat - Widely available
- TOAST.net - Unlimited data
Fastest Internet Service Providers in Philadelphia
- Verizon offers internet at speeds up to 940 Mbps
- Xfinity offers internet at speeds up to 1000 Mbps
- Spectrum offers internet at speeds up to 100 Mbps
- Viasat offers internet at speeds up to 25 Mbps
Gambling and Casinos
On October 30, 2017, Governor Tom Wolf signed the bill that legalized online gambling into law. Gambling in the State of Pennsylvania generally includes Bingo, horse racing, the Pennsylvania Lottery, casino gambling and small games of chance that are operated by taverns and nonprofit organizations. Here is a list of the best casinos in Philadelphia:
- SugarHouse Casino at 1001 N Delaware Ave, Fishtown.
- Harrah’s Philadelphia Casino & Racetrack at 777 Harrah's Blvd.
- Parx Casino at 2999 Street Rd.
- Valley Forge Casino Resort at 1160 1st Avenue.
- Philadelphia Park at 3001 Street Rd.
- Philly Casino Parties at 204 Owen Ave.
- SugarHouse Poker Room at 1001 N Delaware Ave, Fishtown.
- Ollie’s Poker Club at Penn Center.
- Royal Flush Casino Entertainment at 706 Harrison Ave.
- Xcite Center, Located in Parx Casino.
Weed and Drugs
Over the last few years, the City of Philadelphia has made a lot of efforts to ensure that marijuana is decriminalized effectively and with this, the consequences and penalties for having in possession a little quantity of marijuana for personal use have significantly reduced. Nevertheless, it is still a crime to possess any quantity of marijuana for personal use.
Health, Fitness, Gyms and Massage
Best Gym Centers in Philadelphia.
- The Training Station at 533 Spring Garden Street, Philadelphia, PA.
- Philly Phitness at 130 S 17th St, Penn Center.
- Fit Gym University City at 4415 Chestnut St, Spruce Hill.
- The Sporting Club at the Bellevue at 224 S Broad St, Avenue of the Arts South.
- City Fitness at 2101 S St, Fitler Square.
- Fitness Works Philadelphia at 714 Reed St, Passyunk Square.
- City Fitness at Market St & S 12th St
Best Places for Massage in Philadelphia:
- Terme Di Aroma at 32 N 3rd St, Philadelphia, PA.
- Rescue Spa at 1601 Walnut Street, 3rd Floor (16th & Walnut), Philadelphia, PA.
- Rittenhouse Nails at 268 S 20th St, Philadelphia, PA.
- LUSH at 1525 Walnut St (15th & Walnut), Philadelphia, PA.
- Hot Hands Studio and Spa at 2545 S Broad St, Philadelphia, PA.
- Hand & Stone Massage and Facial Spa at 2500 Grant Ave, Philadelphia, PA.
- Body Restoration Spa at 1611 Walnut St Fl 3 (16th Street), Philadelphia, PA.
STDs and HIV
In the year 2017, about 19,100 people were living with HIV in Philadelphia to include 63.9% of Blacks, 15.4% of Hispanics and 17.3% of Whites. In the same year, close to 300 people diagnosed with HIV in the city lost their lives. Take no chances and protect yourself if you must engage in a sexual act because a beautiful face does not guarantee a disease-free body.
While Philadelphia still bears the brunt of a history riddled with violence and decay - resulting in the notorious moniker of Killadelphia -, the city's overall crime rate has declined markedly since the late 2000s, now boasting a lower crime rate than more tourist-friendly cities such as Washington D.C, and New Orleans. This is the result of continued gentrification, community involvement, and a more efficient police force. As a rule of thumb, it's important to know that the places visitors are likely to spend time in are safe and well policed.
Center City and the surrounding neighborhoods have very low crime rates (some of the lowest in the country). Wealthier neighborhoods like Rittenhouse Square, Old City, and Society Hill, are safe, as are Northeast Philadelphia, Northwest Philadelphia, the Art Museum Area, Chinatown, the Parkway, and Bella Vista. Some petty crimes (mostly muggings) happen but much less often than the media suggest. South Philadelphia is generally safe, though certain parts should be avoided (especially those near I-95).
On the flipside, other parts of the city still struggle with rampant crime. The city's criminal activities are overwhelmingly concentrated in North Philadelphia (with the very notable exception of Temple University), West Philadelphia (though this area has seen improvements), and Southwest Philadelphia. These areas are of little interest to tourists, but do be careful if you do end up venturing there.