Manchester dating guide advises how to pick up English girls and how to hookup with local women in Manchester. Travel, enjoy and have fun with hot single girls and you might even meet the love of your life. Read more on how to date English women, where to find sex and how to get laid in Manchester, England, United Kingdom.
Manchester is the third most populous city in England and home to two of the most famous football clubs in the world: Manchester City and Manchester United. Although it is truly a first-world location, it has its roots as a housing sector for poor factory workers in the 19th and 20th century. As a result, the city still has some poor sectors, but economic development has turned it into a partying capital by night.
- 1 Girls in Manchester
- 2 How to Pick Up Girls
- 3 Dating
- 4 Top Dating Tips
- 5 Online Dating
- 6 Live Cam Dating
- 7 What Kind of Guys Have the Best Chances
- 8 Risks while Gaming
- 9 How to Get Laid as Soon as Possible
- 10 Gold Diggers and Sugar Babies
- 11 Swinger Clubs and Naturism
- 12 Costs of Living
- 13 Accommodation
- 14 How to Get There and Move Around
- 15 Digital Nomads and Remote Work
- 16 Internet and Mobile Operators
- 17 Gambling and Casinos
- 18 Weed and Drugs
- 19 Health, Fitness, Gyms and Massage
- 20 STDs and HIV
- 21 Stay Safe
- 22 See Also
Girls in Manchester
The British culture carries connotations of sophistication, elegance and etiquette, so when you arrive, it can sometimes be a shock to find the complete opposite. There are a few breath-taking girls around, but they are few and far between. The average girl is slightly chubby and fussy. However, there are girls in Manchester that come from all different kinds of ethnicities so there is something for everyone.
Generally, the girls are friendly; however, some can make life a bit difficult. Manchurians can get loud, especially when drunk. If approached nicely, they will reciprocate the same attitude. If that is not the case, time for you to move on to the next girl.
How to Pick Up Girls
The chances of picking up a girl in Manchester are quite high, particularly if you are foreign. Of late, English girls have gained a bit of a reputation for being easy. However, the real beauties are the international visitors that come on holiday or have made a UK university their home. If you can land one of these, you'll definitely remember it for the rest of your life.
Tips for Daytime
Manchester is fairly busy during the day, and the city centre has lots of little spots where you can meet girls. Your strategy should be focused around finding a way to initiate a conversation. If you meet a girl, you can even play the tourist card and asking her to show you around. Another good strategy is to get to know a group of friends. Grow your network and you will eventually have a few girls who want to sleep with you.
Universities are prime locations to find local and international girls. At these locations, you will be able to meet lots of students who are looking for a good time on the weekends - get into a friendship circle at the university and you are well on your way to hooking up with as many girls as you want. You will be able to find girls from the rest of Europe, some coming as far as South America and Asia, because their families have sent them to study in the UK. University campuses to visit will be listed under the next section.
Shopping malls are also good spaces to meet girls. The main thought is really about finding a location in which you can start a conversation, so naturally places with lots of people are conducive to finding a date. Try and initiate conversations. You can always play the tourist card and ask her to show you around the city.
British girls are fairly easy, particularly if you are a tourist. The most important thing is to not come across as if you are boring; try and make her laugh with lots of banter, sarcasm and a good sense of humour. Do this and your chances of getting laid are quite high.
Best Places to Meet Girls
If you are a looking to date a student, then the universities are good places to look. You don't even have to go to the campuses themselves, but you will find plenty of girls hanging around the surrounding restaurants, cafes and bars. The universities to visit include:
- University of Manchester
- Manchester Metropolitan University
- Victoria University
- Football games are also a great occasion. Everyone gets involved; everyone is in good spirits and nobody seems to stop drinking. The main football clubs are Manchester United and Manchester City. If you can't get a ticket to a game itself, you'll definitely want to head to a local pub close to the stadium.
- The Library is also a good location to meet girls. It is one of the most popular tourist attractions in the city, so you also stand a good chance of running into a few international girls in the area.
Shopping malls offer plenty of opportunity. For the best chance of hooking up, choose one of these three top malls in Manchester:
- Crystal Peaks Shopping Mall - one of the most popular malls in Manchester, this mall is really the crown jewel of Manchurian shopping. It has everything you need and more, such as a park, health club, fashion stores and grocery stores. The result is lots of cute girls waiting for you to chat them up.
- The Orange Shop - This is a great little mall to grab a quick bite or to do some clothing shopping. There are plenty of locals inside its walls and the transfer from meeting a girl to actually starting a date is fairly quick. Definitely a good pickup spot.
- Barton Arcade - a gorgeous setting and a great place to go on a date or meet one. If you are in the area, this mall is a great place to test your flirting skills. It also has a few fitness clubs, so there will be lots of toned girls in there.
Tips for Nighttime
The city centre of Manchester really comes alive at night, as the party scene brings all the people together indoors. If you are looking to hook up in Manchester, the night life is your best friend. Moreover, the clubs, bars and vibe is really fun. Although it is not as vast or as diverse as London, you can bet your house that Manchester's night life is going to be a treat. Depending on what type of girl you're after, you'll want to select your clubs and bars accordingly. For students, you'll want to hit the student mainstays and clubs. If you're looking to meet a cougar, pubs, lounges and bars are the places for you.
British girls, in general, are easy to hook up with, especially when there's alcohol involved. If you are in a student area, your chances increase as well, as there are lots of girls looking for a good time. Some are even on the hunt themselves.
Best Nightclubs to Meet Girls
The nightlife in Manchester is busy, and it has something for everyone. After a football game, during the university holidays or on a Bank holiday, you will find the most action. Here are a list of clubs to try when you're in Manchester:
- Fifth Club - one of the oldest student clubs in Manchester, this club is well supported throughout the year. Being a student venue, the drinks are slightly cheaper and the vibe is young and happening.
- Sankeys is also a long-term favourite of the Manchester scene, so if you are looking for a decent place with lots of girls, this is a definite pitstop. Enjoy a few drinks, EDM bangers and a night to remember!
- South Nightclub - Manchester has become famous for its underground clubs that blast House, Techno and EDM anthems well into the early hours of the morning. South Nightclub was the pioneer of this movement, so pay homage to this old timer.
- O2 Ritz - Arguably the best club in Manchester, this venue bangs out tunes and gives you plenty of opportunity to meet girls. Its name has become legend and its dance floors are loved. If you are in Manchester, this is one club you cannot go without visiting.
- Royal Albert Hall - Although this is not strictly a club, there are plenty of exciting events happening in this venue. Be on the lookout for international DJs and raves. There will be plenty of girls and a good event here can often clean out all the partiers from other clubs.
If underground techno, EDM and trance is your thing, then Manchester is going to be heaps of fun. In fact, there is no real downside to the clubbing offering itself. The only detractor is that you have to work hard to find a girl that is actually stunning. Other than that, you should have no chance dancing until the sun comes up.
Mature Ladies and Cougars
There are lots of mature women in Manchester who are looking for a younger guy to have fun with. These women are always keen on tourists, and they often wait on online platforms for someone who strikes their fancy. If you are into mature women and cougars, try the following apps:
Other than that, you can always scour the bars and pubs or shopping malls for mature ladies. They are open to the idea of dating younger men.
When visiting Manchester, dating can be a fun and interesting experience. AdultFriendFinder.com, lets you meet local members in Manchester and get to know them on a personal basis before you arrive. It just takes a few minutes, you simply create an account, upload a few images and tell a little about yourself. Since time in your destination may be limited, get to know each other’s desires beforehand so when you do meet, you can skip the awkward introductions and start having some real fun.
Top Dating Tips
Manchester is a busy city with lots of unique locations to take a girl. Try and avoid cliché activities such as coffee or a simple meal. Instead, treat her to one of the many interesting things that Manchester has to offer. You will definitely be rewarded for your efforts later. For the best results, try one of the following activities:
- Chill Factore is one of the coolest, trendiest places in town. It's an indoor skiing facility that is sure to keep you entertained for hours on end. If you meet a girl with a slightly adventurous spirit, Chill Factore is sure to go down well. You can even try it out without a date - there are plenty of girls looking for a warm jacket.
- Alcohol Lessons - Ever wondered what it's like to become a master of the alcoholic arts. Manchester, a city famed for its football and drinking, is the perfect place for you to learn. It's like Hogwarts for mixing cocktails - only the magic is real. If you want to include alcohol in your date, this is a very hands on and imaginative way to do it. You'll also have the opportunity to use lots of physical contact, so definitely give it a try. Good places to visit include Lola Lo, Tiger Tiger, and Botanist.
- Museums - If you are looking to display a bit of culture - or history and art happens to be your thing - you can do a museum tour of the city. There is also very little pressure to speak, as the environment is very quiet anyway. The two most popular destinations are the Museum of Manchester (a natural history museum) and Museum of Science and History.
- John Rylands Library has been a popular destination for tourists and locals for many years. It's beautiful architecture and vast size makes you wonder how it's just a storehouse for books. It resembles something more of a castle or cathedral. It's a great date venue and a good destination to find local and international girls.
If you are going to take the dinner route, then at least do it properly. Fortunately for you, Manchester's Northern Quarter has some culinary delights just waiting for you. Here you'll be able to find an array of great restaurants, each with their unique twists. For a good time (and an impressive one) the Northern Quarter Restaurant doesn't disappoint. You can also head to one of the niche bars for a drink afterwards.
Amp up the fun with a trip to some of Manchester's best competitive locations. You can try the Dog Bowl for some Ten-Pin Bowling, Twenty Twenty Two for a great night of table tennis and Namco Funscape for miniature golf. Finish it off with a round of drinks and ask her back to yours.
Conversation is your best bet when it comes to closing the deal. If you are quiet and disengaged, you shouldn't expect much from the night; however, if you can keep up the banter and woo her with a few jokes, you're well on your way to getting laid. Also, keep your wit turned up to 11, and charge the conversation with innuendos and hidden references. Compliments work well, but because the English level is so good, you'll want to avoid coming across as cliché.
The UK is fairly connected to the online dating ecosystems and there are many applications available for all types of people; it is definitely not just part of student life or for young people. In fact, you can find a dating site for almost any category of people - from single parents to older women looking for a good time. As a result, you should be online. It really does help a lot, especially if it's your first time in the area.
- Tinder As far as dating apps go, Tinder will always be the king. It is an international language and you will be able to connect with local girls and international travellers. Make sure to mention that you are foreign and looking for a good time. This immediately causes a lot of interest and you are quite likely to get a match. English girls are used to the Caucasian look, so if you have an exotic touch about you, your chances are definitely high.
- Happn is an app that allows you to match with people. Thereafter, it will send you a notification if your paths cross in real life. It is definitely fun and exciting, and it could lead to a spontaneous date or hook-up. Due to the large number of girls in the area, it's a good conversation starter.
- Bumble operates on a similar basis to Tinder with a few key differences. You go through the same process, swiping and matching, but the pace is a lot quicker - you only have 24 hours to start a conversation. Importantly, women are the only ones allowed to start a conversation, so that may be a deterrent to some, but the large data base is attractive.
- Zoosk is a popular platform in the UK specifically, and it should connect you with a few local girls. There are more than 6 million singles currently online, so it is definitely worth a try. If you can, try and get a local to show you around. English girls are not always that attractive, so you will have to work quite hard to get an 8. The best thing to do is to match with lots of girls and infiltrate their friendship circles.
- Match.com is probably the oldest platform to meet someone; however, the site requires a lot of time investment. If you run out of options, you may want to try this, but first stick to the main guns like Tinder, Bumble and Zoosk.
- Instagram is not always as innocent as it seems. On the surface, it's a social media platform that gives you a snapshot into the lives of the people you follow. Once you slide open those DMs, it's a hook-up extravaganza. What you can try is filtering out the location, going into the Manchester section and finding cute girls to follow...like a few pictures, see if she reciprocates and then slide deep inside those DMs.
Live Cam Dating
Are you looking for virtual satisfaction in Manchester? Chat with live web camera models and find the best girl for your needs. There are thousands of girls online 24/7 waiting for you: Live Cam Girls
What Kind of Guys Have the Best Chances
Like most other countries, it is difficult to pinpoint exactly what girls like; however, there are a few things that may put you at the top of the pile in Manchester. The first is money - and this does not mean that you have to have a fortune. Simply stated, girls like a well-groomed man, so avoid coming across as if you just rolled out of bed. You can keep the look casual while still being presentable, so keep you chin up, chest out and wear something nice.
Secondly, English girls generally have a fascination with muscle - it's definitely attractive and the many gym franchises are proof of that. If you are well-built and you have an athletic physique, you should attract some immediate attention. A cheeky flex also goes down well in clubs and bars.
Exotic-looking guys probably have the best chance, as the local girls are often attracted to a more tanned skin. South American men are considered extremely attractive, particularly if you can speak Spanish or Portuguese. Western Europeans also have a good chance of picking up girls; those from Eastern Europe may struggle a bit. Africans are a bit hit and miss - some girls love the darker skin and some do not. Asian guys are generally not considered the most attractive, but this is because they are sometimes more wiry than men in the UK.
If you are looking for a quick hook-up, it really depends on the girl herself. There are plenty of girls who will have sex without going on a date - going straight home after meeting at a club. There are also girls who require a date or two; it just depends on whom you meet.
Risks while Gaming
There are not many risks. The city itself is fairly safe if you follow the basic rules: don't flash your cash, make sure you are watchful and don't leave valuables unattended. Other than that, you may find some douche who tries and cockblock you, particularly if he is drunk. However, if you show a bit of backbone, you can easily get out of the situation and get the girl. Occasionally, this turns into a fight, but very rarely.
There is a risk that a girl may try and get herself pregnant, so you always want to use a condom. The state welfare is really attractive and you can live quite a comfortable life on government handouts if you have a kid, so avoid any girl who tries having unprotected sex with you.
There isn't really much else to worry about; policing and security is good, and the people are usually friendly and helpful, especially when they've been drinking.
How to Get Laid as Soon as Possible
Getting laid in Manchester is not difficult, it just requires a bit of intelligence. Therefore, it is important to have your strategies in place before heading for the kill. There are a few key places and techniques to use, some of which will be explained below.
- Internet Dating Apps - No matter where you are in the world, these platforms are the fastest way to connect with women. As a result, no bachelor should be without an internet dating profile on a popular Application. If you are travelling alone, you will want to have a few pictures of yourself saved beforehand. Once done, get online, make sure you introduce yourself as a tourist in your bio, as this is an immediate point of difference and it should get you lots of matches. Chat up girls and arrange a physical meeting as soon as possible. If she's keen on a hook-up, invite her over; if she's not into sex just yet, you can go out for a meal, drinks or coffee. Make sure the conversation is friendly, humorous and always undernoted with sexual references...make it subtle but not too subtle. Invite her back to your place or mention something about wanting to see hers. Everything should flow from there.
- Night clubs are always going to be a venue to find a girl that strikes your fancy. For the best places, to go, check the "Nightlife" section. Manchurian girls are usually down to have sex, especially after a few drinks. The dark atmosphere and flowing alcohol is usually the perfect combination when it comes to picking up girls. You may have to try pretty hard to find a girl that's 7 and above, which is probably your biggest obstacle. English girls are known for being fairly easy, so just get out, enjoy the music and mingle. If you meet a girl that you really like, talk to her and offer to buy her a drink. A useful 'trick' is to offer your hand while walking to the bar. If she takes it, you're almost definitely getting laid.
- Game Day - Football is a religion in England. So, when it comes to game day, the whole city is in and around the stadium. There are two main football clubs in Manchester: Manchester United FC and Manchester City FC. Every weekend is an event; people are dressed up, drinking since 10pm and usually in good spirits. There are lots of girls about and you can easily talk to them, get their numbers and initiate an attraction. If you're looking to get laid quickly, offer to buy her a drink, invite her to watch the game with you and by nightfall, you'll probably have her pants down.
- Trains - This may seem slightly surprising, but train stations and the ride itself is a highly underutilized chance to meet women In the UK as a whole; trains are good, so everyone uses it - the rich, the middle class and the poor. As a result, it's a great location to pickup girls. Now, you can do things a little stupidly...avoid just walking up to a girl and making a fuss one you're on the train. Rather, talk to her beforehand (on the platform) and you will save her some embarrassment. You can then enter the train together and sit next to each other, exchange numbers or go on an instant date. If you are on the train and you notice a girl enter, you'll be surprised how effective eye contact and a simple smile can be.
Gold Diggers and Sugar Babies
The Sugar Baby scene in Manchester is still quite new but there are a lot of beautiful young girls looking for a Sugar Daddy. The best and safest way to hook up with a Sugar Baby is online. At SecretBenefits.com there is a wide selection of nice girls who are looking for an older guy to take care of them. These babes are easy to approach and you can settle everything before meeting up.
Anyone can be a sugar daddy. Just create your free account at SecretBenefits and start enjoying the wide selection of Sugar Babies available.
Manchester is a first-world city through and through, so poor people aren't that poor by international standards. Furthermore, the welfare structure is pretty generous in the UK, so people out of work can live a normal life without the need of alternative assistance. This translates into Gold Digging becoming quite a rarity - unless you are extremely wealthy.
Now, there will always be a gold digger or two around the corner, so never rule it out; however, your relationship will be extremely taboo. She will probably only meet you for sex, for fear of being seen together in public. Being a sugar daddy also gets expensive in Liverpool, as you will have to spend a small fortune to impress the girls.
Prostitution is legal in the UK, but the laws surrounding it are extremely complex. Exchanging money for sex is allowed, but you are never allowed to have sex with a girl that has been forced into the prostitution industry in any way - and the definition of "forced" is pretty loose. If you engage in this, even if you were unaware of the girl's background, you will be liable for harsh legal consequences. As a result, you will want to be careful of prostitutes acting like gold diggers. It can bite you in the end.
Swinger Clubs and Naturism
Naturism is against the law and there are n public places in which nudity is allowed.
If you are looking for a few swinging venues, then there are two main clubs to try in the city centre. It is important to remember that Britain has a long history steeped in Christian tradition, so anything remotely close to swinging would be extremely taboo. As a result, most of the swinging scene is hosted in private venues, so you'll have to meet someone involved for further information. However, you can try the following swinger clubs if you're in Manchester:
Costs of Living
If you are looking at travelling to Manchester, you will find that it is actually one of the most cost-friendly cities in the United Kingdom. Compared to the likes of London, accommodation and food is extremely cheap. The British Pound still makes certain things more expensive than in other countries of the world, but it is still definitely bearable.
The main cost is, of course, food and accommodation. Transport is also fairly pricy and you may want to leave yourself $25 a day to ensure that you are never stranded somewhere. If you live on the lower end of the financial scale, you should need at least $50 per night; higher-end figures should be around $500.
Accommodation is really tailored to the budgets of victors, so there is something for everyone. The hostels are reasonably nice; they range from $30 - $45 per night. You can also stay at more expensive hotels, which start at around $50 and have an upper bound of $300.
Alcohol is fairly expensive in the UK and there is no difference in price between the local brews and imported varieties. Expect to pay a minimum of $3 at a supermarket.
The cost of a beer is inflated at bars and pubs, especially at night clubs. Expect to pay anything between $5 - $7 for a beer.
A meal at a low-end restaurant is still pretty expensive. It will cost around $12. As a result, your food can cost even more than accommodation f you choose to stay in a hostel or something similar. Fast food is definitely cheap, as you can buy a McDonald's Big Mac for $3. If you are looking for a budget option, then franchises are definitely the way to go. High-end meals at expensive restaurants can get exorbitant - it could cost you as much as $45 for a meal.
The areas of Manchester are fairly diverse and where you stay is largely dependant on what you're looking for. Manchester is also one of the most crime-ridden cities in the UK (second only to London) but these misdemeanours are concentrated in certain districts. There are really wealthy suburbs, but also poor ones. Avoid certain areas in your choice of accommodation. Other than that, here are a few choice places to stay in Manchester:
Couchsurfing is a good place to start. Because the city is fairly safe, you should be able to find a few keen hosts on the platform. University districts are the most likely to have hosts on this platform, but you should also be careful to steer clear of rougher neighbourhoods. Couchsurfing is also a good platform n which to meet a wingman or a female companion to show you around the city. Your chances of meeting a hot girl on the site is low, though. You will have to get out and about the city for that.
As said before, there are some areas that contain poverty; these districts have a much higher percentage of gun and knife violence, so if you are travelling to Manchester rather avoid places such as Moss Side and Rush Holme.
Manchester city centre is the place to be if you are looking to take advantage of the nightlife. It also comes with a variety of other benefits, such as being in close proximity to public transport facilities, close to shopping malls and just generally experiencing the hustle and bustle of everyday life. There are also plenty of options for every budget; you can find a hostel for around $15-20, a mid-market hotel for $70 and luxury accommodation or anything between $100 - $300 a night. The Edwardian buildings in and around town are gorgeous, so if you can find an apartment, you won't be disappointed.
- North and East Central are particularly good areas, so see if you can find anything there. They offer a good base from which you can pretty much walk to every place you need to go - you're close to malls, the night life and, most importantly, the girls. If you are looking for a slightly cheaper option, you can also try West Central. It offers a similar vibe, but you will have to travel an extra distance to get what you want.
- Top Tip: The Hilton in the city centre is actually quite unique, and it's cheaper than most. Half of the premises is a hotel and the other half is a hostel, so definitely consider staying here if you can.
- Airbnb and Booking.com both work well in Manchester. Have them on your phone or mobile device at all times. If you are looking for a fun apartment for a few days, go with Airbnb; for hotels and hostels, choose Booking.com.
- University districts in England are always special. They're rich with history, you can have interesting conversation, witness spectacular architecture, and, most importantly, there are plenty of keen girls for you to meet. If you can, try and make friends with a girl or guy who stays in a student hall. This gives you access to the inner circle of university life. Otherwise, you can always book a hostel in close proximity to one of the following campuses:
- University of Manchester
- Manchester Metropolitan University
- Victoria University of Manchester
How to Get There and Move Around
Getting around in Manchester is really easy. Everything works well, there is little crime to worry about (in most areas) and there are plenty of options available. The only downside is there are costs involved. Much like any first-world city, you will have to splash out a few pennies on getting around; however, it's quick efficient and super easy. Having well-signed, English descriptions every step of the way is a massive help, too.
By air: Manchester International Airport is the busiest airport in the country outside of London. It has plenty of stores and restaurants to keep you busy. If you are looking for a place to stay the night, the airport has a few hotels as well. Accessing the airport is very easy, too, as you can get a bus directly to the vicinity.
By bus: The bus is the quintessential way to get around in Manchester. It departs from almost every corner of the city and it runs like clockwork. You can find all the information you need online so that you can plan your trip beforehand.
By car: You don't really want to rent a car for your trip to Manchester, as the public transport facilities are so good. However, if you do, there are plenty of agencies waiting at the airport. You can expect the usual international brands such as:
Expect to pay a minimum of $90 for a little hatchback. You will also be required to put down a deposit, so it's a fairly expensive outlay of cash.
Uber is available in its usual form, and the rides are convenient and relatively cheap. It really comes in handy if you ever get lost or need a trip home from the pub. It's definitely worth having the app pre-downloaded on your phone just in case. Taxis are also an option.
By train: The rail line is exceptional, especially when you get to visit the impressively designed stations. Manchester Central Station even allows you to take the rail to other major cities in record time. Trains are pleasant and a good way to get around. You will meet plenty of interesting people at the stations and on board the train, including a few hot girls. It's also safe and foreigners usually draw a few looks from the local girls, so it's a good place to take a few numbers.
By bike: Bike rentals are a common occurrence, and the low crime rates means that you can comfortable get around with just a bike and the metro. You can book a bike online and you simply pick it up from a local outlet.
Visas: The UK visa policy allows for most countries from North and South America to gain visa-free access for up to six months Members of the EU are allowed to enter and exit as they please; however this may change in the near future due to Britain's 'Brexit'. Most third-world countries will be required to obtain a visa, which is relatively expensive - around $100 for a 3-month visa. Check the details of your own country and Britain's requirements thereof to avoid disappointment.
Digital Nomads and Remote Work
The United Kingdom as a whole is one of the best economies in the world, so a simple job would be able to sustain you. If you are able to work for a short period of time before heading back home, you will likely benefit from a slight arbitrage due to the currency exchange. However, getting work is not that simple. There are many people trying to obtain a working visa in the UK, so you will have to make a good case for why you should be accepted.
If you are a professional with years of experience in your field, then you are likely to get a work visa. Also, people with ancestry connections to the UK can also apply for an ancestry visa, which allows you to work in the UK. Once you get it, there are plenty of jobs available - from sports to waitering at cafes and attending bars. The temp agencies in Manchester are also an extremely valuable network to tap into. They will have you working at events for roughly $10 an hour.
Depending on your line of work, being a digital nomad is not easy in the UK. The prices, on an international level, are extremely expensive. If you want to survive, your best bet is to get a job locally or save up the cash beforehand. Remote work is not the most viable option for the long term.
Internet and Mobile Operators
Network and service providers are competitive within the UK, so you really don't have to hunt to for a suitable option. If you are from the Europe, then you probably don't have to worry at all, as the UK's GSMM network means that you will still have reception throughout the country. However, if you are from the America, Asia or Africa, you will most likely have to get a sim card at a local vendor. The only exception to this would be South Africa and Chile, as both of these countries rely on the same service providers as the UK. In order to get started, you will probably want to stick to the following service providers for the best prices and connection.
Vodafone - the market leader! Vodafone has established itself as the dominant service provider in the UK. Their LTE service is super fast and the connection never fails; however, they have positioned themselves at the premium end of the market, so prices may be slightly more expensive than other service providers. For locals, tourists from Europe and North America, this does not make much of a difference. However, travellers from third and second-world countries may feel a hit, because of the exchange rate.
O2 - If you are travelling throughout the whole of Europe, particularly through regions closer to Spain, then this is the best service for you. O2 has been giant in the UK's cellular market for many years and their offering is more than good enough: fast internet and a reliable connection throughout the country.
T-Mobile - Their service is not always as good as Vodafone or O2, but they do offer really cheap data plans. If you need to be on the internet a lot - perhaps for work purposes - then this provider is a viable option. You can get a monthly data plan for comparatively little.
Orange - A more recent addition to the market, Orange was established in 1993 and is a good all-rounder. It's definitely not a bad option, so if you find a good deal near you, consider taking it.
Three - Popular with young people and a rapidly growing network, three offers you a range of services as well as a data plan to suit every budget. Their data management and analytics are also pretty impressive; it has a cutting-edge feel about it - a little sci-fi.
Sim cards are easy to get in the UK. You can even buy them online. Alternatively, you can go to almost any store or supermarket and get a sim card for very cheap. The best option is to purchase a data plan; you could also buy a prepaid sim and load airtime onto the account; however, this can get expensive, so only do so if you are unsure about your plans.
Gambling and Casinos
The United Kingdom has a rich history of gambling, so if you are out and about in Manchester, there are plenty of gambling activities for you to enjoy. There are four major categories for gambling. They are: sports betting, casinos, online gambling and pub games. If you are looking to wager some serious cash, or perhaps just a simple game for laughs, there are a number of options for you.
The casinos are definitely worth a visit and they will have a range of games and machines for you to try your luck. You can use a slot machine for around 10c, and the more serious cash is blown on games like Poker, Russian Roulette and Blackjack. Most the casinos are state-of-the-art and they have electronic versions of the games, too. If you are in Manchester, you should try the following casinos:
- Genting Casino - the most popular casino and arguably the best, Genting is an impressive, resort-like casino with all the bells and whistles.
- Stanley Manchester Casino - located just a jump away from all of the action of Manchester, this casino has become a favourite of the locals. It has more than 300 activities and it's easy to get lost in all the action.
- Grosvenor Casinos - you'll find this casino right in the middle of the city, and it boasts a comprehensive gaming experience as well as plenty of other attractions to keep you busy. There are great restaurants as well.
Sports betting is another section of the gambling industry, and it has been for a few centuries now. You can find sports betting hubs online; there are even a few apps that you can download which allow you to engage in live bets. Alternatively, there are plenty of places you can visit: most casinos offer sports bets, so do pubs and bookmakers. The most common sports to bet on would be horse racing, greyhound races and football.
Online gambling is a huge industry in the UK, so much so that the local casinos have even wired their games to the internet. This means that you are even able to get all the thrill of a casino from the comfort of your accommodation. If you would like to get involved, try the following sites:
- Party Casino
- Dream Vegas
- 21 Casino
- Omnia Casino
Pubs are somewhat of a central part of Liverpudlian life, so it naturally became a place where people play a few games for fun. Although you shouldn't expect to take massive winnings from pubs, they do provide the venue for a bit of fun - and you can sometimes win a few hundred pounds on a game of darts or billiards.
Weed and Drugs
Wherever there is money, drugs are usually to be found. However, in order to counteract the effects of drugs and the abuse in urban areas, the UK has provided strict guidelines for drug use in the boundaries of the nation. Therefore, before any explanation of what and where you can get, it is important to explain the rules of the game and your chances of being caught should you engage in recreational drugs.
The Legal grounds for prosecution is divided into three main categories. These carry with them designated punishments for the class itself, so if you are caught in possession of a drug within this band of the law, you will be subject to the category's penalty.
Class A deals with more hardcore recreational drugs. Notable entries include cocaine, ecstasy, heroin, crystal meth and magic mushrooms. The penalties for this class are severe - it carries an unlimited fine and a maximum of 7 years imprisonment.
Class B deals more with over-the-counter drugs, such as barbiturates, codeine, Ritalin, ketamine, any form of cannabinoid and methylphenidate. It also provides the guideline for cannabis, so if you are caught in possession of weed, this class is likely to be your penalty. The punishment for possession is an unlimited fine and/or up to 5 years in prison.
Class C is a lot more lenient, and certain drugs are allowed for personal use, such as anabolic steroids; however if you are caught with more mild prescription drugs without an official prescription, this class provides the means for prosecution, which equates to up to 2 years in prison or an unlimited fine.
Needless to say, the laws are strict, so do not get caught and definitely stay clear of the more hardcore varieties. If you get caught in possession of weed, things are likely to be fairly chilled and the full extent of the aw is hardly ever used; however, you will probably be charged with at least a $100 on-the-spot fine.
If you are looking to purchase drugs, it's not as simple as going to a run-down neighbourhood. Your dealer is likely to live in a normal suburb and the way things are run is a lot more efficient than most countries. In the UK, dealers usually have everything, so the guy you buy weed from is also likely to sell you meth or cocaine. Never EVER walk up to a random person and ask if they know where to get drugs. Instead, your best bet is to befriend someone who uses something you like (let's say it's LSD). Find someone using LSD and befriend them. Afterwards, ask them if they wouldn't mind sharing their supplier's number. From there, you can arrange a meeting point, but avoid being too obvious and scaring the dealer off. Most dealers are cautious about being baited by police, because one wrong move can cost them life in prison, so you will usually go through the transaction in a car.
Health, Fitness, Gyms and Massage
The fitness industry in the UK is a multi-billion dollar market. Most of the gyms are health chains that are owned by large corporations. They're nice, a good place to break a sweat, relax by the pool or talk to a local hottie. The gym definitely acts like the local watering hole in the United Kingdom, so definitely check out the following if you are in Manchester:
Virgin Active - one of the premier health clubs in the country, Virgin Active provides a good balance between comfort, sophistication, modern facilities and a general good feel. They provide health food vendors for their clients to grab a post-workout snack. There are plenty of girls here to chat up, so it's definitely a viable option.
LA Fitness - This international gym franchise is well-known to pretty much everyone internationally. Although it has its roots in the United States, the gym is still a more than adequate place to enjoy a hardcore workout.
Total Fitness - A UK specialist. Total Fitness has been a staple of the English fitness industry for a number of years. Expect fully-equipped gyms, pools and a range of other features. This is a good place to scout for local fitness chicks.
David Lloyd Leisure - Premium luxury fitness and health facilities, this gym comes with a range of fitness equipment, fantastic swimming pools and a stunning layout. However, the pricing is quite high-end, so you may want to compromise with a Virgin Active if you have budget constraints.
Fitness First is a popular health club with students and younger demographics; they're also all over the country, so if you move away from Liverpool, the same membership is likely to still be valuable.
STDs and HIV
HIV is a relatively small concern in the United Kingdom. Despite this, a recent report by the government reveals that there has been a recent, small breakout of the virus. The biggest concern was that patients themselves did not know that they had contracted the virus; thus, it was easily spread through a lack of precautionary measures.
The study also shows those regions most likely to have a higher percentage of the population with HIV. As of today, there are about 102,000 people living in the UK who currently carry the infection; however, these have been narrowed down to certain demographics who make up the majority of the disease. Black African populations have been shown to statistically have the most risk of carrying the HIV virus, so it is something to consider during your stay in Manchester.
Other notable STDs to watch out for include Chlamydia, Syphilis and genital warts. These have been on the rise in recent times, so be careful whenever you have sex. If you meet a girl in a club or any other location, it is important to use a condom. Before having sex, you should have at least a few on hand. Buying condoms is easy; they're available everywhere and it's cheap thanks to government subsidies. Also, girls from poorer areas are more likely to have an STD; she might not even be aware herself.
The Healthcare system in the UK allows you to get access to free tests should you suspect that you have contracted an STD. Visit the closest clinic as soon as possible to get tested should you have engaged in unprotected sex. You will also be given Antiretroviral Treatment if you have come into contact with HIV and a number of other dangerous STDs. The most important thing is to get an early diagnosis.
If you're uncomfortable around thousands of intoxicated young people, then you should probably avoid Friday and Saturday night taxi queues in the city centre. You should also avoid any conflict with door staff at bars, clubs and pubs.
All pubs, bars and clubs are best avoided on days where the Manchester derby football match is taking place. Relations between the two sets of supporters have never been amicable, to say the least, but things seem to have deteriorated. What starts out as "banter" quite commonly gets out of hand.