Madrid dating guide advises how to pick up Spanish girls and how to hookup with local women in Madrid. Travel, enjoy and have fun with hot single girls and you might even meet the love of your life. Read more on how to date Spanish women, where to find sex and how to get laid in Madrid, Spain.
Madrid is the capital of Spain and home to many world-renowned tourists attractions. As the Spanish have made an impact in many different regions around the world, many see it as a pilgrimage to their roots, which invites lots of Latin Americans into the culture-rich capital. With so many sights and wonderful experiences, Madrid has won its place in the hearts of many.
- 1 Girls in Madrid
- 2 Where to Get Sex Now
- 3 How to Pick Up Girls
- 4 Dating
- 5 Top Dating Tips
- 6 Social Media for Adults
- 7 Online Dating
- 8 Live Cam Dating
- 9 What Kind of Guys Have the Best Chances
- 10 Risks while Gaming
- 11 How to Get Laid as Soon as Possible
- 12 Gold Diggers and Sugar Babies
- 13 BDSM
- 14 Swinger Clubs and Naturism
- 15 Costs of Living
- 16 Accommodation
- 17 How to Get There and Move Around
- 18 Digital Nomads and Remote Work
- 19 Internet and Mobile Operators
- 20 Gambling and Casinos
- 21 Weed and Drugs
- 22 Health, Fitness, Gyms and Massage
- 23 STDs and HIV
- 24 Stay Safe
- 25 See Also
Girls in Madrid
Girls in Madrid are a sight to behold. They are absolutely gorgeous. Spanish girls are like social butterflies and they tend to be very friendly and welcoming. The key is to be very confident with you approach and ensure that you are making the girl comfortable. The women are free to choose their husbands and get into a relationship with whoever they want to. Most women are open to making love with the natives and tourists both, although this is one thing that might differ from person to person. Most women won’t find it a problem to have a one night stand or just a casual hookup with men.
Spanish girls are cute, not insanely hot. If you were thinking about huge asses with an extremely curvaceous body, leave that thought behind. That is the South American Latina. Spanish girls have cute faces, peach-like asses and a tightly-toned body. They're pure Mediterranean girls: brown hair, brown eyes and a tanned yet fair complexion. You may come across a few blondes, but they are borne out of mixes with peoples further North.
The personalities of the girls is probably the most attractive thing about them. Expect fiery, passionate personalities with a sincere conviction and a mischievous love for fun. Sometimes, you may find the girls a bit annoying; some can be loud and obnoxious. However, for the most part, Spanish girls are loads of fun. They're fun friends and the passion in their souls makes them even better lovers.
Where to Get Sex Now
It is easy to get sex online in Madrid. You just need to find the best available girls. See Girls Online Here!
How to Pick Up Girls
When it comes to picking up girls in Madrid, you may have to play a longer game than in most cities. Spanish girls are social beings. It is rare to see a girl spending time alone in the park or at a café (unless working and that's not an ideal time to approach). Almost everyone is within a group, and those that fly solo are viewed with immediate suspicion. Thus, your first point of order is to make some friends, not as a nice-to-have, but a necessary step.
Once you are in a friendship circle, you can begin exploring the city. If you meet a group of girls, introduce yourselves as a group. You can then freely and comfortably gather names and numbers. If you find someone interesting, ask her out on a date or just to go for coffee. However, be sure to try your best to keep out of the friendzone. Shower her with compliments in Spanish. Even if your Spanish is broken, it will still be appreciated.
The chances of landing a hook-up are only low because of the amount of work it takes. Unlike other nations, you have to infiltrate the system and make a bunch of local friends. If you are looking for a quick fix, there are many Latina girls around. Wealthier Latin girls are sent to Spain to study or for school. However, over time, they assimilate and become just like the other Spanish girls. There is a period after they arrive where you can tap into some of that Latin spice. Alternatively, you can hook up with other foreigners.
Tips for Daytime
The daytime is undoubtedly the best time to meet girls. Madrid has a host of people who are busy throughout the day. You will find groups of girls exploring or busy at popular locations. The chances of striking a conversation is high if you are in a group. Otherwise, you may come across as a bit creepy.
Best Places to Meet Girls
Infiltrating a friendship group is a must, but there is also a need to find said group. The best places to look for girls are in and around Sol, as this is where most of the action is. You will be able to find a large volume of foot traffic and many girls out and about in groups.
Malls are also great venues to find a group of girls. They often venture out for a drink or bite to eat. It is simply the social way of the nation. As the girls mingle and browse between stores, you can strike up a conversation - even simple Spanish will do. Great places to start looking include malls such as:
- Centro Comercial Principe Pio
- La Gavia - one of the best shopping malls in all of Europe!
- La Vaguada
The parks in Madrid is also a vital location. Many girls head out and enjoy the natural scenery. As a tourist, it is often the fresh and natural surrounds that provides a means of connection. You don't need to entertain too much; it is often as simple as picking a flower and taking it to a girl. Try El Retiro Park.
When all is said and done, some of the popular tourist destinations may also double as the best place to meet women. These sites attract crowds, and crowds mean an increased chance of you getting laid. Placeslike:
- The Royal Palace
- Opera House
- Plaza Mayor
- Bellas Artes
Train stations are a great hub. They attract people (including lots of girls) as they commute to work, university and school each day. Thus, there is no shortage of opportunity. Be on the lookout for girls at the station, but don't be creepy.
Tips for Nighttime
The chances of hooking up at night are excellent. You can hit up bars and nightclubs and find many horny girls looking for a one night stand. You just need to be smart about approaching them. Be confident, compliment her, buy her some drink and you are good to go.
Best Nightclubs to Meet Girls
- Fabrik - one of the super clubs of Europe. Fabrik is located on the outskirts of Madrid and is renowned for extravagant events and world-class parties. They often have famous DJs like David Guetta. If you are planning on visiting frequently, it is worthwhile getting a membership, as they have crazy deals such as free entry and drinks. Some of the events are noteworthy, such as foam parties, water parties and other theme parties.
- La Riviera - A mix between a concert venue and a nightclub. There are always concerts, with both amateur musicians and a few famous names thrown in between. It has also become a local watering hole, which means that people from all over Madrid attend events. It may not be the best venue for the hard partygoers, but it does have the allure of many people and an electric atmosphere.
- Opium - One of the more trendy spots in the city. Restaurant by day and superb nightclub by night. There is a different genre of music every day of the week, but weekends really come alive thanks to the residents DJs who spin electric EDM. Opium is definitely one of the hottest clubs in the city. Wear your best and be on the lookout for honeys doing the same.
- Penelope - Expect techno, house and EDM. At times, they have famous celebrities such as Kesha, Train and Calle 13. The weekend is always packed, but the week is also a great time if you are feeling festive after working hours.
- Serrano 41 - Located on the upmarket Calle Serrano, Serrano 41 is one of the city's premier club. You'll find an older crowd, as the hefty prices are not usually afforded by younger students and junior professionals. Sundays feature a hip hop vibe, with the rest of the week featuring salsa, pop, bachata and techno. It is a fun club with an enticing Spanish flair; however, be prepared to pay a small fortune for drinks and entrance.
- Kapital - probably the most popular club in Madrid, Kapital is a favourite of travellers, students and the youth in general. There are multiple dance floors on many levels. Each dance floor has a different genre, so be prepared for many layers of fun. The sound systems are crazy, the lights show adds the right amount of dramatic flair and excitement, and there is a cold blast of air which keeps ravers dancing until early hours of the morning.
- Joy Eslava - expect concerts and live acts in the evening. As the night progresses, the venue turns into a full-on nightclub with spectacular EDM drops and an electric atmosphere. While it may not compare to the likes of Kapital and Fabrik, it is a staple of the nightlife scene, a club you could bank on if you ever need a place to socialize and have a good time.
Madrid is a true capital when it comes to parties. Some of the clubs are mind blowing. There always seem to be events and no lack of breath-taking venues to choose from. As a general rule, there are only a few clubs worth splashing out on. Also, if you are looking to meet girls, always go in groups. With that being said, the clubs are not always the best places to meet hot girls, as most of them come out during the day and require a more romantic approach.
Mature Ladies and Cougars
It is not likely that you will find many older women to hook up with. The younger ones are difficult enough to chase, and the older ones often come with a greater weight of religion and a more solid catholic tradition. You may find one or two if you are lucky, but they'll probably be on dating sites such as Tinder. Simply set your age range higher and see who bites.
When visiting Madrid, dating can be a fun and interesting experience. AdultFriendFinder.com, lets you meet local members in Madrid and get to know them on a personal basis before you arrive. It just takes a few minutes, you simply create an account, upload a few images and tell a little about yourself. Since time in your destination may be limited, get to know each other’s desires beforehand so when you do meet, you can skip the awkward introductions and start having some real fun.
Top Dating Tips
Madrid is one of those magical places where you never run out of things to do. The day is the time in which you can take a girl out for a really good time and explore the city in a romantic manner. There are a few rules to follow before the locations are discussed.
Firstly, you need to have some command of the Spanish language. Unfortunately, English doesn't get you very far in Spain, as it is also one of the main languages spoken on a global scale (it's third only to English and Mandarin). Do your best to learn as much as you can before you arrive. Apps such as Duolingo or YouTube videos may help in this regard. You need to at least be able to hold a conversation.
Second, you'll have to be comfortable with building relationships. It takes time unless you are happy with the bottom of the barrel when it comes to both looks and personality. The really attractive beauties love the romance. They want to be pursued. You need to first forge a friendship circle, ask her out, maintain an attraction and after a few dates, you'll get laid - not before.
First dates are best done over something non-threatening, both to your budget and to the atmosphere. Pick something chilled like going out for coffee, tapas or maybe a few drinks. Most importantly, you want something that encourages conversation. Never opt for a movie or tour, because there is no room for the sparks to fly or to test whether you actually have any chemistry.
For the following dates, try a few of the ideas mentioned below:
Markets are splendid places to explore, especially in Madrid where so many fine artisanal foods and wares are sold on a daily basis. As you explore and walk around, you will find yourself engaging in conversation - maybe even sharing a light romantic touch now and then.
Teleferico de Madrid is a cable car that takes you on a journey which provides views of the gorgeous city. It is romantic to say the least. Go at sunset for the view of your life, and be sure to keep the romance alive with plenty of compliments and light touches.
Parque del Buen Retiro is the perfect venue to enjoy a romantic stroll. Girls love nature, and the beautiful scenery is just the thing you need to set the mood. There are plenty of natural attractions, stops (such as the cheese factory and the art gallery) and flora to keep you entertained for hours.
Wine Tasting is a great favourite of the locals. There is much to taste and more to see. Treat her to a day of extravagant wines and adventures. Note: it may cost a bit more than a regular date so check to see if you have the budget.
Day trips and tours are available. While a bit touristy, it does provide a great third or fourth date alternative to just coffee or a restaurant. Indulge in the cuisine along the way and reinforce your attraction as you marvel at the architecture, natural beauty and cultural marvels of the city.
Social Media for Adults
Go private with the hottest girls on the internet. BimBim.com is like Instagram but only for adults! See the latest stories, videos and pics from girls. Start to follow and chat with them. Check it out now: BimBim
The rest of Europe is fairly connected to the online dating ecosystems and there are many applications available for all types of people; it is definitely not just part of student life or for young people. In fact, you can find a dating site for almost any category of people - from single parents to older women looking for a good time. As a result, you should be online. It really does help a lot, especially if it's your first time in the area.
- InternationalCupid - Premium international dating site with over 1 million members.
- Tinder- It will always be the king. Tinder is an international language and you will be able to connect with local girls and international travellers. Make sure to mention that you are a foreigner and looking for a good time. This immediately causes a lot of interest and you are quite likely to get a match.
- Happn is an app that allows you to match with people. Thereafter, it will send you a notification if your paths cross in real life. It is definitely fun and exciting, and it could lead to a spontaneous date or hook-up. Due to the large number of girls in the area, it's a good conversation starter.
- Bumble operates on a similar basis to Tinder with a few key differences. You go through the same process, swiping and matching, but the pace is a lot quicker - you only have 24 hours to start a conversation. Importantly, women are the only ones allowed to start a conversation so that may be a deterrent to some, but the large data base is attractive.
- Zoosk is a popular platform in Europe specifically, and it should connect you with a few local girls. There are more than 6 million singles currently online, so it is definitely worth a try. If you can, try and get a local person to show you around. English girls are not always that attractive, so you will have to work quite hard to get an 8. The best thing to do is to match with lots of girls and infiltrate their friendship circles.
- Match.com is probably the oldest platform to meet someone; however, the site requires a lot of time investment. If you run out of options, you may want to try this, but first stick to the main guns like Tinder, Bumble and Zoosk.
Instagram is not always as innocent as it seems. On the surface, it's a social media platform that gives you a snapshot into the lives of the people you follow. Once you slide open those DMs, it's a hook-up extravaganza. What you can try is filtering out the location, going into the Edinburgh section and finding cute girls to follow. Like a few pictures, see if she reciprocates and then slide deep inside those DMs.
Live Cam Dating
Are you looking for virtual satisfaction in Madrid? Chat with live web camera models and find the best girl for your needs. There are thousands of girls online 24/7 waiting for you: Live Cam Girls
What Kind of Guys Have the Best Chances
Spanish men are notoriously open with women about how they feel or their impression of the way the women looks. The language is quite sexual, with many connotations and euphemisms built into basic flirtatious wording. Thus, the biggest advantage is the ability to speak Spanish. More often than not, girls will find a foreigner exciting and exotic. They see Spanish men every day, so there is a point of difference you have as a foreigner. Use it well.
The way you dress is extremely important. Presentation and first impressions matter to a girl. In order to stand out from the locals, you need to ensure that you are well-groomed, that your style isn't boring, but that it is stylish and clean nonetheless. In this regard, America, British, Canadian and other white westerners appear the most sophisticated, but that does not exclude other racial groups. African guys may struggle. The Spanish can get racist at times. Asians may struggle most with the language barrier, and they are smaller in stature, which makes things difficult in such a fiery and competitive culture.
One advantage that could be exploited is the fact that Spanish men often live with their parents well into their 30s. This is not shameful or uncommon. However, when a foreigner steps in with enough money to fend for himself, the independence alone is attractive to women.
Risks while Gaming
There is obviously the risk of unsafe sex due to the catholic tradition of not using contraception, but that is not too much of a worry as long as you keep a decent level of communication open. If a girl does not want to use contraception, don't force the matter. It is her religion, and there are other girls, especially in a city like Madrid.
Spanish guys can get aggressive, especially of you mess with their girlfriends. This doesn't always mean a bar fight, but it can create an unpleasant scene. Generally, it doesn't progress into assault, but avoid hitting on girls that are taken. Other than that, avoid public intoxication, and you will be fine.
How to Get Laid as Soon as Possible
Getting laid in Spain is no easy task. For starters, the competition is fierce. Spanish men are notorious for open displays of passion when they see a girl they like. Affection is built into the culture, and women are used to being the centre of attention. It is very difficult for anyone else to come in and beat them at the game, especially if you don't speak Spanish fluently. That brings about the second point: the language barrier. Only a select few people can speak English, and this is usually because of business purposes, as companies seek individuals who can connect with British and American clients. These are not likely top be the girls you are looking for, as the perfect sweet spot for hooking up is around 21 - 28.
Approaching a girl on the street is also a good way to waste your time. Spain is extremely social. Girls do not like to be alone, and they view solo strangers as weird. Even two guys alone is a bit strange. The quickest way to meet lots of girls is to make friends with a group. Once inside the group, you can branch out and mingle with other groups. This is the best way to find girls and ask them out on a date.
Note: you can't go straight from introductions to the bedroom later that day. It takes at least a few dates.
After you have asked her out, think through a plan. Go on a coffee or milkshake date for the first time, and focus on getting to know as much as you can about her. Shower her with compliments and praise. Spanish is an important language to learn if you are going to be successful at the speed hook-up, so be sure to use Duo Lingo or some other learning tool to get your vocabulary on large enough. Arrange a second date if you felt that the vibe was good. During this date, become a bit more touchy. Gentle touches. You could also go for the kiss at the end if you feel the connection is good enough. The third date is usually when things start to happen. Often, the date ends in the bedroom.
Gold Diggers and Sugar Babies
Madrid is full of hot girls looking for a mutually beneficial hookup with travellers. There are lots of girls who don’t charge by the hour but who will do anything for a guy who is willing to help them pay their bills. If you are looking for a more personal and less transactional alternative to escorts, a good place to find these sexy open-minded girls in Madrid is SecretBenefits.
Looking for a new bondage partner while traveling? ALT.com is a community of like-minded people with members around the globe. Our members are interested in submissive sex, power exchange, locating persons for new slave roles, erotic BDSM, bondage & fetish sex, as well as live sex dates. Find thousands of play partners for whatever your fetish may be; bondage, foot, cockold, spankings, role-play, electric or water play, sadism and masochism all while traveling in Madrid.
Swinger Clubs and Naturism
The swinging scene in Madrid is definitely live and active; however, it is not as well-attended as some of the other major European cities. Attending a club is a bit of a hit and miss situation. One night it may be bustling with a large group engaged in swapping. Other nights may just be dead with a few couples sticking to themselves in the corner. It's still worth a try if it's your thing. Here is a list of the best swinger clubs in the city:
- El Palacete
- 100 Momentos
- Fusion VIP
- Sala Trivial
Costs of Living
Accommodation is not too expensive in Madrid, so you can get by with little more than $20 per night for a roof over your head. Food prices can add up, but not too badly. On the budget side of things, expect to pay no more than $60 per day if you go out a couple of times per week for a drink or visit an art gallery etc. On the more expensive side, Madrid actually offers a lot of value. The best hotels are never more than $300 and they provide excellent service. Things do add up when dining out and seeing sights, as the food bill can exceed $100 per day - if you indulge in the wine and spend the night out all the time. However, that should leave you spending no more than $800 every day.
Hotels are reasonably priced, and hostels are available in scores. There is an offering for every budget, and most of them come near public transport and walking distance from cultural sites.
Beer is cheap, especially the local lagers. Some craft beers are sold at markets and they are sometimes as cheap as $1 for a bottle. If you purchase international brands, however, the price jumps up to around $4. All in all, it is still a great place to cheaply consume alcohol.
Clubs, bars and restaurants add a bit of margin onto the drinks, but since the beers are a cheap commodity, it isn't too much of a hit. The most expensive club in town will charge you around $6 for a beer, and tapas places charge around $4 for a pint.
A Big Mac is $5. It is not outrageously expensive, but fast food is definitely not what you want to eat in Madrid. If you are on a budget, tapas joints are open across the city. Tapas are small, appetizer-sized portions of a meal. They are put together to give the diner a small taste of multiple foods that fit well together. These restaurants aren't expensive, and you can leave with a full belly for under $5. Alternatively, you can eat out at a casual dining place for around $20 or so per meal. Remember, in Spain the biggest meal of the day is lunch, so don't expect hefty menus during dinner time.
There are three main areas where you should look to stay if you want to get the most out of your trip to Madrid. These three areas are all located in the heart of the city, and offer close proximity to valuable resources and experiences.
- Sol - the first of the three and probably the best. It is the very soul of the city, the heart. It also functions as the main tourist hub. It holds many different restaurants, cafes and bars to try. There are many other advantages, such as the close proximity to the Opera, Royal Palace and public transport stations.
- Madrid de los Austrias - Fewer tourists than Sol, but a fun and busy community nonetheless. The area has a rich history of Austrian touch, as seen in the architecture, the food and some of the people. It is a great location if you want to experience more of a traditional Spanish lifestyle, less like a tourist.
- Barro de Las Letras - filled with many different bars and traditional Spanish restaurants, this sector of the city is perfect for those who like a more artsy flare. The history in the vicinity is superb. Everything about it feels inherently Spanish.
All of these areas will provide a great place from which to pull girls, especially at night. Sol is probably the best bet if you are working around a night approach; however, the other two will do just fine if your budget doesn't allow for the royal treatment of Sol. Most of the prices are inflated for tourists and wealthy locals from other parts of the country.
Airbnb is a great boking mechanism, especially because Spain has a number of spectacular villas, which allow for a better feel of the country than a hotel can provide. However, in the city centre of Madrid, Booking.com is probably the best bet. Sometimes, the platform saves as much as half of the costs. Furthermore, it works for both hostels and hotels, so it's a fix for everyone.
Hostels are not badly priced. You can get one for $15 per night if you are lucky. A popular one seems to be the Safestay Madrid. However, you should bank on $20 to be safe, as there is always the risk of the hostels being booked by the time you get there. Instead of deciding things on the last minute, ensure that your stay is booked beforehand.
Alternatively, you can choose to stay in a mid-market hotel. The prices are not outrageous, as $100 will get you a more than comfortable room with breakfast included. Stay in the city centre and the price bumps up to $150, but the choice is up to you.
5-star luxury is unlocked at $250. These afford you access to the best hotels in the city centre. Although not as expensive as other cities, such as London or Paris, there is still a lot of luxury to be found within the confines of the luxury hotels of Madrid. Be on the lookout for specials. Sometimes, the price drops to as little as $180.
How to Get There and Move Around
By air: Madrid has five airports which service the city. One of these is an international airport, one is a regional airport (meaning it services the rest of Europe) and the others are all domestic airports. Madrid Barajas International is the one that carries Iberian Airways, the national Airways. It also carries millions of passengers per year, and is most likely the airport you will use if you travel from another continent. It is an impressive location, with plenty of entertainment, restaurants, cafes, bars and retail experiences. You will also find many other transportation services waiting for you outside of the airport.
Monforte Airport is the one that services the rest of the EU. It is also large in size and holds many restaurants and entertainment options. Although it does not services as many travellers as its international cousin, it is still a fun and exciting location nonetheless. If you travel from anywhere in Europe to Madrid, you may use this airport.
By bus: The busses are called EMT City Busses, and they provide a comprehensive service which takes you anywhere in the city you can think of. There are three main bus terminals, the main one of these being Estación sur de Madrid. The EMT busses run from 6:00 am to 11:30 pm. After this time, you will have to catch a night bus called buhos. They charge the same rice as the EMT busses, which is around $2 per single fare.
By car: The taxi services in Madrid are really good. From the time you land at the airport to your day-to-day coming and going, a taxi will take care of all your needs and transportation requirements. However, they do come at a premium, and it is far cheaper to use the bus which operates on time anyway.
Uber may also be a good service to use for foreigners, as it allows you to budget exactly how much to spend on a ride from the airport or bus/metro stations to your destination. Again, the prices don't really justify the additional comfort - unless, perhaps, you get drunk in the middle of the night. Stick to the bus and metro most of the time if you can.
By train: The metro system in Madrid is fantastic. Moreover, it works well in partnership with the bus system. If you purchase a pass for the train, the same ticket entitles you to a bus trip as well. The train is always on time; there is one roughly every five minutes. Almost every area of the city is unlocked with the metro and you can take a bus to get to exactly where you want to go. Furthermore, the stations are great hubs. They have lots of people who come and go, including hot girls. It is really a great way to see the city through the eyes if a local and perhaps meet someone special, too.
Note: prices for a single ticket are just under $2, but if you take a ten ticket pass, the price drops to merely $13!
Visas: Spain is a popular tourist destination, as the prices of travel to the country are relatively cheap from most places in the world. Added to that, Madrid is one of the most popular destinations for tourists. Obviously, entry is allowed for EU citizens. North American countries are given 90 days of visa-free entry. Most South American countries as well as African and Eastern Nations require a visa. This can be applied for online or at a local embassy. Be sure to check with the appropriate Spanish representatives to avoid disappointment.
Digital Nomads and Remote Work
A working visa is not easy to obtain in Spain. The country has just been through a major economic recession, with its central banks struggling to pay its debts, and its commercial banks being affected far worse. Thus, many of the local people have had their jobs affected, which means that there is a need in the local community for opportunity. Expats suffer because the process of obtaining a working visa has been made extremely difficult. Unless your position is extremely niche and there is a high demand that exceeds the local supply, a working permit application is almost a guaranteed disappointment.
The only gap that exists for expats in larger than normal volume is a role in English education. If you are able to fulfil this type of role, you can try and apply to one of the academies or institutes. Be prepared to wit nearly a year for a verdict on your application.
If you are going to travel through Madrid, it is unlikely that you will survive without some form of saving. The Euro doesn't exchange favourably with all currencies except the pound, so be prepared for a hefty financial hit during your stay.
Internet and Mobile Operators
The internet services and mobile carriers are really good in Spain. While it may not compare to some of the speeds in Asia or North America, you can rely on a few trusted names to get your calls and messages through. Generally speaking, the prices are not too steep; however, this only applies to when you choose a data plan beforehand.
Here is a list of the better network provider choices in Spain:
- Vodafone - familiar to British, Australian and other members of the commonwealth, this service provider offers a stable connection at a mid-market price range. Some of their services can be expensive, but it is generally accepted that you get what you pay for with Vodafone. Nothing too fancy but reliable, nonetheless.
- Movistar - The main player in the market. Movistar holds over 65% of the market share, and their services have been really good for quite a while now. It is probably the sim card that is easiest to obtain, since there are so many vendors.
- Orange - A company which came into the market through acquisition. They were known as Amena until 2005, but have since been taken over by the British giant. There are some problems with the connections in more rural areas, but Orange does offer insanely cheap data plans and contracts for mobile devices.
- Yoigo - Also a rebrand of a company which did not do too well a decade ago. However, they have come back in full force with an offering that places them firmly in the top four of a highly competitive industry. They do piggyback off of larger companies' infrastructure, which does mean that their calls do not always carry through quickly enough. However, this is extremely rare.
The best bet to get a sim card is to get it over and done with at the airport. If you have travelled by train, the station will have a few vendors, too. With that being said, citizens of other European countries should be able to use their sims just fine.
Gambling and Casinos
Casinos have become an attraction in the city, as they come alive during the night. The day does not really attract as much traffic to these venues, so wait until the sun goes down before you try your luck at a few games. Madrid has everything a devout gambler could dream of: card games, the usual slots and pure-chance-based machines, and then the more poker, roulette high-stake opportunities. All of the casinos are located in, or close to, the city centre. Try a few of the following casinos, the best in the city:
- Casino Gran Madrid Colon
- Casino Gran Via
- Casino Militar
- La Terraza del Casino
- La Biblioteca del Casino
- Casino De Madrid
Weed and Drugs
Spain is fairly liberal with its marijuana laws, but not as liberal as their distant Dutch neighbours. Cannabis is allowed if being used for personal cultivation and consumption. However, the consumption of weed in public places is prohibited and punishable with an on-the-spot €500 fine. There are cannabis clubs across the city, which allows weed enthusiasts to exchange their produce and try out new strains of the plant. The law does not allow for the sale of weed unless specially licensed. The trafficking of weed is also illegal, so be careful that you don't infringe or become a victim of a scam artist. Weed is available inside one of these cannabis clubs. It's as simple as a Google search.
Thus, Hash (from Morocco), cocaine, LSD, Ecstasy, crack and heroine are present in the country. The best thing to do is to stay away from the harsher narcotics, as these mess the human body up in devastating ways. However, Hash and other party drugs are available at most clubs and parties. It all depends on who you know and where you look.
Health, Fitness, Gyms and Massage
The Spanish are an active people, as the many sporting events show. There is lots to do with regards to fitness, from outdoor walking, exploration, football, jogging and even skiing. There are also a few health, fitness and gym chains across the country. These centres of fitness attract quite a large portion of the local community and can often be a great place to introduce yourself to girls, or at least make a few friends. The following gyms are the best places to grab a workout or meet a friend or hot girl:
- Altafit - the leading fitness chain across the country. There are many gyms in Madrid, with a growing number of members monthly. The gym comes with everything you need and more: weights, cardio equipment, a cross-fit section and fitness classes.
- BasicFit - Another reasonable gym facility which has made its way across the nation. They offer a low-budget alternative to other gym chains, but there is no compromise in the quality of workout available. Expect the gym to get a bit packed during peak times, but that can also mean plenty of opportunity to mingle with the girls.
- McFit - No, not Mcdonald's latest entry into the fitness market. McFit is a gym franchise that looks to provide a comprehensive fitness experience to customers all over Spain. The company is not as large as Altafit or BasicFit, but the service is great and the equipment is even better.
- VivaGym - A great and more chic alternative to the others. The price isn't outrageous, but you will have to go quite a distance to find a gym in the Madrid area (depending on where you stay of course). All in all, it's a great gym and adequately priced.
STDs and HIV
STDs are not at an alarming rate in Spain. Despite this, the most reported infections are HIV, which is a matter of concern. However, only 0.4% of the population suffers with HIV, making the chances of catching it extremely low. The most common STDs are Herpes, HPV, syphilis and Gonorrhoea. One particular concern is borne out of the Catholic heritage and religion of the land: there is a particularly low percentage of people who use contraception. One third of the people you will come across will be against contraception on religious grounds.
As common sense would dictate, don't sleep with girl you have just met if you do not use protection. The risks are too great, and you greatly increase the chances of unwanted pregnancy and STDs. Fortunately, the Spanish are an extroverted bunch who never shy away from speaking their mind. If a girl is uncomfortable with protection, she will usually say so.
Madrid is a relatively safe city. The police are visible, and the city is equipped with cameras. There are always a lot of people in the streets, even at night time, so you can walk across the city generally without fear. Travelers who remain aware of their surroundings, and keep an eye on their belongings should have little to worry about.