Edinburgh dating guide advises how to pick up Scottish girls and how to hookup with local women in Edinburgh. Travel, enjoy and have fun with hot single girls and you might even meet the love of your life. Read more on how to date Scottish women, where to find sex and how to get laid in Edinburgh, Scotland, United Kingdom.
Edinburgh is the Capital of Scotland, and there is no mystery as to why the city is so popular with visitors and the locals. There is plenty of natural scenery - from visits to the shores of the Loch to exploring extinct volcanoes while enjoying a glorious sunset - it's a city that has it all. At night, the Old Town is transformed into a festive partying district with something for everyone. There are plenty of cute girls around as well as international girls either visiting or attending the famous University of Edinburgh.
- 1 Girls in Edinburgh
- 2 How to Pick Up Girls
- 3 Top Dating Tips
- 4 Online Dating
- 5 What Kind of Guys Have the Best Chances
- 6 Risks while Gaming
- 7 How to Get Laid as Soon as Possible
- 8 Gold Diggers and Sugar Babies
- 9 Swinger Clubs and Naturism
- 10 Costs of Living
- 11 Accommodation
- 12 How to Get There and Move Around
- 13 Digital Nomads and Remote Work
- 14 Internet and Mobile Operators
- 15 Gambling and Casinos
- 16 Weed and Drugs
- 17 Health, Fitness, Gyms and Massage
- 18 STDs and HIV
- 19 Stay Safe
- 20 See Also
Girls in Edinburgh
There aren't many fat girls, but the Scottish stereotype of red hair with light eyes and freckles can be seen in a lot of places. Their features are sharp and fierce, but they are lovely. In terms of accents, some may find it a bit much, but most find Scottish accents incredibly sexy.
Most people find Scottish girls attractive. There are a few red-haired girls in the mix as well. If this is not your thing then there are still plenty of blondes and brunette girls in Edinburgh. Light eyes are also a common occurrence, so you get to enjoy the many blues and greens on display. Some of the girls lack a bit of shapeliness when compared with other countries, such as Brazil, Colombia or Argentina, but they're still beautiful in their own way.
The girls are friendly, not snobbish. You can definitely have a bit of banter in places like pubs and many of the Scottish girls pride themselves on their ability to keep up with the boys. This competitive spirit and good-natured fun is additive.
How to Pick Up Girls
The girls in Edinburgh are definitely attractive, and they are relatively petite when compared to the bigger cites of England. They also happen to be fairly friendly and easy to get along with. Once you hook up with a local girl ('lassies' as they're called), you'll be surprised how passionate and fiery they can get, so they are definitely worth the chase.
As for the game itself, you will need a certain amount of perseverance. The girls in Edinburgh have a more traditional streak, and they prefer going out for a few dates before having sex. Good places to meet girls rang from online dating apps to the bustling night life. You can also try a few popular natural attractions that are well attended by the locals.
If you are willing to try all of the avenues such as dating apps, chatting to girls in malls and meeting up for a few dates, then your chances as a foreigner are pretty good. You will need to ensure that you have enough money to survive the expenses of the process. However, if you have the ability to initiate friendly conversation and see where it goes, getting laid in Edinburgh is definitely a more than plausible accomplishment.
Tips for Daytime
The many natural attractions and outdoor adventures in Edinburgh are attractions for both local and visiting girls. Therefore, if you are looking for girls during the day, there are a few strategies which you can use in order to maximise your possibility of meeting someone attractive. There are also certain locations that provide better opportunities than others. Some of these include university areas, tourist destinations, malls, pubs and even train stations.
Scottish girls can be slightly reserved at times, so it's slightly more difficult to just start up a conversation than in the rest of the UK. It's probably one of the more traditional locations within the country. As a result, you will have to break the ice before asking a girl out on a date. You can try getting her phone number and letting her get to know you over the internet. Alternatively, you may want to ask her out after speaking to her for some time. Try asking about the best places in town to visit. Keep the conversation friendly with a touch of humour. As things progress, you can add more subtle sexual hints into the mix.
Best Places to Meet Girls
Shopping malls are an excellent venue to meet girls, but you have to visit the most popular ones for best effect. When in Edinburgh, try the following malls:
- Princess Mall - Located in the City Centre, this mall is a great venue to shop for fashion accessories and clothing, try out the local restaurants and enjoy a state-of-the art cinema. The architecture is nothing exceptional; however, the amount of people who faithfully shop there make it the perfect place to chat up a few girls and take down some numbers.
- Fort Kinnaird - a great mall with an exceptionally large floor space. The parking spaces can sometimes be difficult to manage due to the many visitors each day, but that also means there are plenty of girls waiting inside. If you find a group of girls, which is often the case, try starting up a conversation by simply introducing yourself. You can ask them which restaurants or cafes to try and you might find a connection through simple questions and answers.
- Meadowbank shopping Centre - Another gem of the inner city that functions as a good venue to meet girls. Here one can try instant dating: meeting a girl, asking her out for coffee or a meal and heading to a movie as a last resort. This mall should definitely be one of the places on anyone's list.
- St James Shopping Mall - Located in the centre of the city, this gem of a mall is visited by many people in the surrounding area. Its convenient location and many restaurants result in many girls for one to talk to. It's also a good place to meet a Tinder date for coffee or a snack.
The University of Edinburgh is also a good place to meet girls during the day, and the students are generally friendly and open to conversation. You can try simply walking up to a girl and start getting to know her. Alternatively, you can also try the using your foreign nationality to your advantage. Ask girls to show you around campus or town; let them show you the best spots and you can even ask for advice about accommodation, etc. Other notable institutions to meet students are:
- Edinburgh Napier University
- Heriot Watt University
Natural attractions are also great places to meet tourists and local girls. Many of these women are looking for a good time in a new country just like you, so take advantage of the situation and approach a group of tourists and exchange numbers with a girl that you're attracted to. As for the local girls, they're often keen on meeting new people. If you have an accent or a distinct difference, try and use it to your advantage. However, nothing beats having a simple but friendly conversation with a girl you find attractive.
Here is a shortlist of popular attractions to visit:
- Edinburgh Castle
- Loch Ness
- Hard Rock Café
- Arthur's Seat Hiking trail
- Harry Potter Walking Tour
There is no right and wrong place to meet girls; it's actually more about how good your conversational skills are. Approach girls in a light-hearted manner - not too serious, but funny, witty and slightly cheeky instead. Scottish girls enjoy a bit of confidence, so be sure not to come across as timid and scared.
Tips for Nighttime
The night life in Edinburgh is pretty good. There are plenty of girls around, and if you go to the more popular clubs, you are likely to find tourists from all over the world. There are also a lot of different vibes to witness. Those that like a more chilled scene will find the pubs and lounges more enjoyable - these are also good for chatting up girls in a more comfortable forum. If you are going for all-out party, then there are a fair number of clubs to enjoy.
Edinburgh offers a diverse nightlife that caters to all tastes. If you're looking for local Scottish women or students and travellers from other countries, then there is definitely a place for you in the town after dark. Moreover, the amount of clubs is sure to impress. It's a small town, but it definitely doesn't show.
Best Nightclubs to Meet Girls
Edinburgh is home to a few nightclubs, but you do need to know where to go for the best results. Some clubs are student faithful venues where you're likely to have little success if you don't fall into a certain age range. Some are for more alternative persons looking for like-minded people. There are also rave venues for the hardest partiers. Edinburgh is a thriving city, and the Scots definitely throw a good party.
For a memorable night, visit the following clubs:
- Lulu Bar and Nightclub - a classy venue that demands the attention of everyone on the weekends, this clubs is one of the places to go no matter who you are. It's one of the more premium clubs in Edinburgh and it's walls are home to thumping anthems, delicious cocktails and a range of well-dressed girls who are keen on mingling with travellers.
- Opal Lounge - A great place to find a hook-up on the weekends. The Opal lounge is in the centre of one of the partying districts. The music is always well-selected for the events and the cocktails are gourmet. It can get a little pricy, but this club is worth the visit if you can afford a few spare pennies.
- Electric Circus - There are a number of clubs in town, and many offer fun pastimes and tunes to pass the night away. However, the electric circus offers something a little more unique: karaoke. Their events are renowned and attracts people from all over town.
- The Jazz Bar - If you are searching for an alternative vibe to impress a date or meet like-minded people, then the Jazz Bar is for you. With a roaring 20's vibe and a guaranteed full attendance, the Jazz bar is a local clubbing favourite.
- Lola Lo - A party island on the streets of Edinburgh. Its tiki theme and pumping R&B rhythms will keep you moving well into the night The less formal vibe also means that there are plenty of girls in a more light-hearted mood - a great opportunity to start a conversation or offer to buy a drink.
- Cabaret Voltaire - the party venue in the city. When searching for an electric atmosphere with the very best local DJs, 'Cab Vol' (as the locals call it) is the place to be. It's the most popular club in the city, and the bass is sure to reverberate through your soul as you sip on well-priced drinks.
- Sneaky Pete - It is a place for fun. As simple as that. Unlike the name, there really is no mystery as to why it has charmed its way into the spotlight of Edinburgh's night life. The alternative vibe allows you to chat up as many girls as you'd like, and hook-ups are fairly easy.
The night life is buzzing, and there are plenty of options for a variety of different tastes. Also, hook-ups are fairly easy if you know where to go. If you are looking for a great party, then head to George Street. You're sure to find a few great spots with pumping music.
Mature Ladies and Cougars
There are a few Scottish older women who are keen on having a bot of fun with younger men, so if they are your thing, then there is definitely room for you in Edinburgh. Mostly, they can be found in chilled bars and lounges. It's quite rare to find a mature women in a nightclub unless she is very drunk or with a younger group of girls. Furthermore, the internet is probably your best bet to find older women, so you can browse the following sites to meet mature singles:
- I am Naughty
- Be Naughty
Top Dating Tips
There is plenty to do and see in Edinburgh and date ideas are not hard to come by with a little imagination. Foreigners often have a much better chance than the local guys, so all it takes is asking her out to the right location and your chances of getting laid thereafter are pretty good. With that being said, there are a number of options to suit your budget; you could even take advantage of the natural beauty around you and spend next to zero on your date; however, this is not advised. If you're new in town, here are a few spots to really impress a girl:
- Arthur's Seat - What better way to get to know your date than through a romantic hike up an extinct volcano. It has all the right ingredients for chemistry creation: danger, physical activity, plenty of time for conversation and spectacular views. For the best effect, try going either at sunset or at sunrise, as the gorgeous arrangement of colours definitely set a romantic tone.
- Whiskey Tour - Scotland is famous for its whiskey so why not experience the magic of how and where it's made whilst on a date. It's engaging, fun, there's ample time for conversation and the alcohol is a great ice breaker. You can then move on to a nice restaurant or invite her back to spend a night out around town with you.
- Camera Obscura - If you are looking for a mentally engaging date idea, then this is the venue for you. There'll be plenty of physical contact involved as you and your date try and solve optical illusions in various rooms. You will also have the opportunity to see the entire city through a giant periscope - cool right?
- Dominion Cinema - Movie dates have been a cliché for as long as cinemas have been around, but Edinburgh has a unique option. The Dominion Cinema offers comfortable couch arrangements, which is the perfect excuse for extra cuddling.
- Voodoo Rooms - St Andrew's square is home to a voodoo show that is sure to entertain the bravest of horror fans. It's unique, exciting and it's a great ice breaker.
- Wingham's Wine Cellars - If you're the quintessential romantic and looking to treat a girl to fine dining and some wine, then this is the perfect date for you. With romantic candle light, choice wine and a tasty menu, Wingham's is sure to impress.
The UK is fairly connected to the online dating ecosystems and there are many applications available for all types of people; it is definitely not just part of student life or for young people. In fact, you can find a dating site for almost any category of people - from single parents to older women looking for a good time. As a result, you should be online. It really does help a lot, especially if it's your first time in the area.
As far as dating apps go, Tinder will always be the king. Tinder is an international language and you will be able to connect with local girls and international travellers. Make sure to mention that you are a foreigner and looking for a good time. This immediately causes a lot of interest and you are quite likely to get a match. English girls are used to the Caucasian look, so if you have an exotic touch about you, your chances are definitely high.
Happn is an app that allows you to match with people. Thereafter, it will send you a notification if your paths cross in real life. It is definitely fun and exciting, and it could lead to a spontaneous date or hook-up. Due to the large number of girls in the area, it's a good conversation starter.
Bumble operates on a similar basis to Tinder with a few key differences. You go through the same process, swiping and matching, but the pace is a lot quicker - you only have 24 hours to start a conversation. Importantly, women are the only ones allowed to start a conversation so that may be a deterrent to some, but the large data base is attractive.
Zoosk is a popular platform in the UK specifically, and it should connect you with a few local girls. There are more than 6 million singles currently online, so it is definitely worth a try. If you can, try and get a local person to show you around. English girls are not always that attractive, so you will have to work quite hard to get an 8. The best thing to do is to match with lots of girls and infiltrate their friendship circles.
Match.com is probably the oldest platform to meet someone; however, the site requires a lot of time investment. If you run out of options, you may want to try this, but first stick to the main guns like Tinder, Bumble and Zoosk.
Instagram is not always as innocent as it seems. On the surface, it's a social media platform that gives you a snapshot into the lives of the people you follow. Once you slide open those DMs, it's a hook-up extravaganza. What you can try is filtering out the location, going into the Edinburgh section and finding cute girls to follow. Like a few pictures, see if she reciprocates and then slide deep inside those DMs.
What Kind of Guys Have the Best Chances
The taste in men for local Scottish girls is deeply set in traditionalism. However, this does not mean that you don't stand a chance If you're from more exotic regions. In fact, the opposite is true. Many of the girls from Edinburgh are keen on trying new things - in that way, they're quite adventurous. Around a quarter of girls, in a recent survey, stated that they'd had sex on the beach and nearly half said they'd done it outside. So, if you are looking for a nation with a lot of fetishes, then Scotland is for you.
In terms of ethnicity, Europeans and fellow Scots probably have the best chances. Most of the girls are brought up with a sense of pride in their country, so they find like-minded men attractive. Second would be North Americans - Caucasians. After that, Hispanic and South American men are also considered exotic and quite attractive. In some cases, these ethnicities may fare better because of their exotic appeal. African and Asian people are last on the attraction list, but still stand a chance if the humour and conversational ability is there.
Fashion is a fairly liberal topic, but you want to make sure you don't come across as poor or ill-groomed. Keep your look fashionably trendy but unique at the same time. Also, wearing something native to your home country is a good conversation starter in bars and clubs, so see what you can do in this regard.
Risks while Gaming
The welfare system is in place, so some poor girls have a lot to gain if they fall pregnant. Make sure you always use a condom when having sex, and that you have a backup on you at all times. Never let a girl convince you to have unprotected sex - even if she says she's on birth control.
Prostitution is another grey area in the UK. It's legal by the letter of the law, but it has many surrounding laws which could land you in a lot of trouble. Rather avoid anyone looking for financial gain in exchange for sex - even if it's not strictly prostitution.
How to Get Laid as Soon as Possible
If you are looking to get laid in record time, then it's all about meeting the right person. There are a few ways to go about doing this, but for the sake of clarity, the best methods will be listed below - in order of worst to best.
The University of Edinburgh is a fine institution, with many famous alumni and an educational offering that attracts students from all over the world. In fact, Adam Smith - often hailed as the father of capitalism - comes from this institution, so much of modern-day life has branched from the walls of Edinburgh University. However, universities are universities: they have lots of hot girls who love to meet new people. Thus, it's a prime target for any visitor, particularly for the long-term. If you can infiltrate a friendship circle at the university, your chances of getting laid in the days to come will skyrocket.
The Nightlife is also buzzing in Edinburgh. As a capital city, one would expect a few partying locations and many pubs and bars to follow suit. These locations are perfect for meeting keen girls. Spend time with her, offer to buy her drinks and eventually engage in some physical contact. Be careful not to come across as a creep - the Scottish girls are a lot more conservative than their English counterparts, so most of them enjoy a slower pace. However, that should not stop you from chasing her with honeyed words and a dance or two. Eventually, she'll feel comfortable and kiss you. After that, it's all up to you. When you feel the time is right, you can invite her back to your place. See the Nightlife section for more detail.
Online dating apps are the best way to meet girls who are looking for a quick hook-up, as it matches you with girls of the same mindset. You can try the usual ones such as Tinder, Zoosk, Bumble and Happn, and you will definitely have some luck. There are plenty of girls who find foreigners attractive and most young people are connected anyway. However, there are also apps in Edinburgh that increase your chances of hooking up even more. If you are looking for a simple hook-up as quickly as possible, then try the following apps:
- Be Naughty - an App specifically designed for quick hook-ups without any drama, you are sure to find someone on here who will strike your fancy.
- I am Naughty - Similar in intent to Be Naughty, except it does not have as large a user base; however, it's still definitely worth giving a shot, as there are lots of talented girls just waiting.
- Quickflirt - As the name suggests, Quickflirt offer users the ability to gauge sexual attraction in just a few minutes. It's different but fun and addictive for any playboy.
- Adult Friend Finder - a staple in other countries, but not as popular in Scotland. It's still worth keeping around for other tourists and the few Scottish girls who are on the platform.
Gold Diggers and Sugar Babies
The Sugar Baby scene in Edinburgh is still quite new but there are a lot of beautiful young girls looking for a Sugar Daddy. The best and safest way to hook up with a Sugar Baby is online. At SecretBenefits.com there is a wide selection of nice girls who are looking for an older guy to take care of them. These babes are easy to approach and you can settle everything before meeting up.
Anyone can be a sugar daddy. Just create your free account at SecretBenefits and start enjoying the wide selection of Sugar Babies available.
Edinburgh is a first-world city with not much poverty around, so gold diggers are somewhat scarce. In addition, there are welfare structures in place which allow destitute people to live a middle class lifestyle by international standards, so there is no chance that the average foreigner could swoop in and offer some cash in exchange for a short-term relationship. Continuing from this point, you would have to be extremely wealthy to be attractive to a gold digger in the United Kingdom.
There is also a danger in the subject, in that it may be difficult to distinguish between a sex worker and a gold digger. Because of the low poverty rate in Edinburgh, there is actually more chance of finding a hooker instead of a genuine gold digger. The laws on prostitution make it difficult to protect oneself if something small goes wrong, so it's best to stay out of any grey areas.
Notably, the wealth of the city means that you may run into a few sugar mommies who often provide accommodation and entertainment in exchange for a short-term sexual arrangement - budgeting at its finest.
Swinger Clubs and Naturism
Scotland is not well-known for its shores, and it hardly compares with the likes of Indonesia, Thailand and Brazil, but anywhere outdoors is definitely pretty in its own way. The temperatures are also on the colder side, so naturism is best left to certain days in summer - if those days even arrive. There are a total of four Naturist beaches in the whole of Scotland. The closest one to Edinburgh would be Loch Shiel. It's extremely private and its shores are hidden away. Also, you should expect more of a lake setting than a sandy beach, but it's still a fun place to grab a skinny dip.
Edinburgh has a surprisingly long history of sex clubs that goes all the way back to the Second World War. As a result there are a few exciting venues throughout the town, and many of the venues are open at various hours of the night. For the best venues in town, try the following swinger and sex clubs:
- After Eight Club - an old favourite in Edinburgh and a popular swinging venue, this club is home to the wildest parties and the most gorgeous girls. The drinks are slightly expensive, so you'll have to pay a price there.
- The Western Bar is primarily a strip club, but it does double as a venue for swinger parties from time to time. Be on the lookout for parties through certain sites and apps. It has a classy atmosphere and everyone seems to enjoy it -from the staff to the clients.
- TLC Edinburgh - The Liquorice Club is known for the many events that happen in its walls. The events differ dramatically, so you'll have to check the website to see what's happening. They're also open from Wednesday to Sunday, so you'll get some action for the majority of the week.
- The Bongo Club - An artsy club where the hook-ups are easy and the girls slightly edgy. This is a great location and often home to some of the most wild stripper parties.
- Bottoms Up Show Bar - a more traditional strip club that has all the latest tunes, a comfortable lounge and an erotic show area. It can get quite pricy, but there are a range of gorgeous girls on display.
Dogging Meet Ups - Car sex is actually a form of swinging in Edinburgh, and it's actually pretty popular. If you find one of these locations, you'll be able to meet up with strangers and have sex in their cars. It's actually most popular when swinging events are on the decline.
Scotland, much like the rest of the UK, is still a very conservative nation. Therefore, gentleman's clubs and swinger venues are still considered taboo subjects. If you meet a girl, you should avoid mentioning the subject until a few dates later - or unless you get a similar vibe from her.
Costs of Living
Edinburgh is a lot cheaper than most parts of the United Kingdom. Also, being a relatively small city, it's also possible to save on transport costs if you live somewhere near the centre. Those that choose to stay more in the suburbs will have to spend more on transport. Other than that, there are many other ways to save money living in Edinburgh. The majority of budgets are used on accommodation. After that, it's food and transportation.
You can live in a 5-star hotel for no more than $250 per day, which still gives you ample playing money for fine dining, getting around and enjoying a buzzing night life. If you want to live on the cheaper side of things, you'll need around $30 for a hostel and another $15 for food. You should be able to get around just fine with a bicycle, and you'll have enough for a beer in the evening.
Accommodation ranges from $20 for a hostel in the city centre to $250 per night if you're looking for a 5-star hotel. Alternatively, you could book a mid-market hotel for around $80-$120 per night, which should be more than enough in Edinburgh. What you're looking for is a central place to stay and a nice venue to bring a girl back to.
Beer is substantially cheaper than in places like London or the rest of the English cities. If you go to a grocery store, it's particularly cheap - a 0.33l bottle costs between $1 and $1.50.
Restaurants can catch you out with alcohol prices, and they can form a large part of the overall bill if you're not careful. Corner pubs are considered the cheapest place to get a beer - it'll cost you around $4 at the cheapest pub in town. The more expensive restaurants and clubs will charge you as much as $8 for a beer.
Meal prices can differ vastly depending on where you eat. If you can, try and book a hotel, motel or any other type of accommodation that offers breakfast included in the package. This will save you a few pennies. A budget meal at a low-end restaurant will cost around $6 and a more expensive meal will cost as much as $40. There are even more expenses to be accounted for once you add some wine or some famous Scotch whiskey.
Edinburgh is a great place to visit at any time of the year, and its activities range from exploring extinct volcanoes to dining on seafood and enjoying the flowing waters of the Leith. Like any city, there are accommodation options to suit everyone. However, certain areas are better than others if you are looking to capture all you can from this Scottish gem. Thus, accommodation will be outlaid in the following section based on budget.
In terms of costs, you should expect to pay no less than $30 per night, which would look like a bed in a'hostel. Lower-end hotels charge around $50 and as you go up the ranking of these, you should see an increase in price. A 3-star hotel will cost about $80 - $150. On the highest end of the price range, 5-star hotels and really nice apartments will cost around $150-$350 a night, but you shouldn't expect to pay more than that.
If you're looking for a cheaper stay, then there are a few really nice hostels in and around the city to try. The best are located in the city centre and around the University of Edinburgh, so look out for accommodation within these areas. Some notable choices include:
- CODE Hostel - a lavish place with a fun and comfortable fitting. CODE is also popular in Asian and European nations, so this accommodation option should fare well with people who are familiar with these regions.
- Safestay Hostel - a fun and inviting place with classy finishes and a great vibe at all hours of the day. It's close to all of the action, including all of the major shopping venues and the night life. The goal of the owners is to merge luxury with a hostel offering.
- Ibis Centre South Bridge Hotel - although slightly more expensive than a hostel, this hotel is a good compromise between price and comfort. There are a lot of interesting shops, pubs and restaurants, and it's close to all of the transport facilities. It's also a nice place to bring a girl back to.
- CityRoomz - Another budget hotel that offers great location at a fraction of the cost. It's great for hook-ups and even better for accessing all that Edinburgh has to offer.
- Haggis Hostels - A great budget location at which you can enjoy access to all of the city's charms. You'll also find plenty of students in the hostels, so it's a great starting point. There are probably a few hot travellers, too.
- Couchsurfing is also another way to save money during your trip to Edinburgh; although, you may find it slightly difficult at times. If this is going to be your strategy, it's probably good to make sure there are rooms available at a hostel nearby as well - just in case nobody takes you in. With that being said, there are plenty of young people looking to meet international travellers, so be on the lookout for opportunities.
If you are looking for more of a mid-range price point, then you can try booking a house in a suburban area on Airbnb. These are nice, and they give you a snapshot of what it's like to actually like in Edinburgh. There are a few things to consider, though. The suburbs are further away from the night life. You may find it more difficult to keep a girl interested in you after such a long journey. Also, travelling becomes more expensive, so there are factors to consider.
As a general rule, you want to stay somewhere near the city centre, and some places are definitely better than others. Anywhere in Edinburgh close to The Royal Mile is sure to be a great place for day and night gaming. This puts you in close proximity to busy bars, restaurants and attractions. However, the hotels and hostels in this area are likely to charge a premium. If you find it too expensive, you can try booking a place in The Old Town - a great place to witness the night life and pull girls from clubs and bars. Alternatively, the city centre offers something similar, but it doesn't have the history or the same attraction to tourists.
How to Get There and Move Around
Getting around Edinburgh is easy, and it is exactly what one would expect from a first-world city. There are a few things to watch out for, the primary one being costs. If you are not careful, getting around the city can eat into your budget quicker than you might think, but that's primarily because everything works so efficiently.
Any reasonable person should expect to pay no more than $15 a day to get around. Although this may seem low, there are a number of cheap alternatives to catching an Uber or using the subway everyday, and these will be explained more below.
By air: Edinburgh International Airport is a great venue to land or depart from. It is fairly efficient, there are hardly any delays beyond reason, and there are plenty for restaurants and shopping stores to keep you busy for hours. It's also a good place to start looking for girls to talk to, but the busy-ness of the place can make it somewhat difficult; however if you can manage it, the tourists and locals are worth the effort.
By bus: The bus system works well ,and it goes to almost every corner of the city. There are a few negatives with the operations of the service. Firstly, it only runs until 10pm, so if you are expecting to return late, you will probably have to book an Uber or a taxi to get back to your residence. Also, it can get fairly costly if you are using it everyday.
By car: Car rentals are available from the airport itself, where you can find places such as:
The price usually starts at around $90 per day, but you will also be required to pay a hefty deposit. If you are travelling on a budget, then the city of Edinburgh has plenty of better options for you.
Uber has become an international language that is operational in almost any country you will visit. As such, it should always be on your phone. It gets quite expensive (around $10 for an average trip) so you should have another default method of transport. However, if you are enjoying some of the night life or plan on being out late, you should definitely consider Uber as a safe means of transport late at night.
By train: The rail is a great option when you are travelling large distances. There are two main stations, which you will always connect to: Waverly and Haymarket. If you are travelling within Scotland, then Scotrail is the train company you should check with for times of arrival and departure. All the information is available online.
If you happen to be travelling out of Scotland - perhaps to London or to another district of the UK, then Virgin Rail is the better choice. You can book online and everything runs extremely efficiently; however, you will have to shop around with other rail companies if you are looking for cheaper alternatives on the day.
By boat: There are plenty of boat itineraries to choose from, but most of them are based around tours of the costal regions instead of pure transportation. It can be a romantic venue for a date, so keep it in mind for the future.
By Bike: There are a few outlets where you can rent a bike for as along as you need it. This is probably the cheapest way to get around the city, so it's definitely worth looking into. You can book your bike online, so there is no real stress about convenience. Bikes are obtained through terminals, and the availability of bikes is also shown online, so you'll never book something that you can't get.
Visas: The UK visa policy allows for most countries from North and South America to gain visa-free access for up to six months Members of the EU are allowed to enter and exit as they please; however this may change in the near future due to Britain's 'Brexit'. Most third-world countries will be required to obtain a visa, which is relatively expensive - around $100 for a 3-month visa. Check the details of your own country and Britain's requirements thereof to avoid disappointment.
Digital Nomads and Remote Work
Edinburgh is a fine city with lots of industries on display. As a result, there is lots of work available for those who are fortunate enough to obtain a working visa. You will have to apply for this before leaving your country of origin, so be sure to have all the requirements fulfilled before you apply for a job. If you are caught working without the necessary documents, all of your earnings will be taken away and you will be forced to leave the country with a ban on your name.
Edinburgh is home to a wide variety of occupations, as one would expect from a first-world city. As a result, you there are jobs available for highly qualified individuals as well as students starting their journey - financially speaking. If you are looking to pay for day-to-day living, working at the local restaurants is not a bad option. Alternatively, you could get involved in events through an events management company. Temp agencies also a offer quite a bit of work for a reasonable rate, such as helping out at concerts, bars, clubs, weddings, restaurants and football games. If you are looking for additional work, you can also get involved in the sports industry - there's always something to do - from admin and planning to marketing and coaching.
If you are looking to survive through remote work, there are a few advantages and a few disadvantages. Firstly, the UK has one of the better internet facilities in the world, so there really is no reason to stress about connectivity. There are also plenty of devices on sale that should increase your commercial productivity. On the other side of the equation, the UK is well known for its high living costs and the exorbitant exchange rate between the Pound Sterling. Thus, you will probably have to have a fairly successful small-medium sized business in order to survive off of remote work, as the living costs make it quite a barrier. The best thing to do is to survive off of the local economy if you can.
Internet and Mobile Operators
Network and service providers are competitive within the UK, so you really don't have to hunt to for a suitable option. If you are from the Europe, then you probably don't have to worry at all, as the UK's GSMM network means that you will still have reception throughout the country. However, if you are from the America, Asia or Africa, you will most likely have to get a sim card at a local vendor. The only exception to this would be South Africa and Chile, as both of these countries rely on the same service providers as the UK. In order to get started, you will probably want to stick to the following service providers for the best prices and connection.
Vodafone - the market leader! Vodafone has established itself as the dominant service provider in the UK. Their LTE service is super fast and the connection never fails; however, they have positioned themselves at the premium end of the market, so prices may be slightly more expensive than other service providers. For locals, tourists from Europe and North America, this does not make much of a difference. However, travellers from third and second-world countries may feel a hit, because of the exchange rate.
O2 - If you are travelling throughout the whole of Europe, particularly through regions closer to Spain, then this is the best service for you. O2 has been giant in the UK's cellular market for many years and their offering is more than good enough: fast internet and a reliable connection throughout the country.
T-Mobile - Their service is not always as good as Vodafone or O2, but they do offer really cheap data plans. If you need to be on the internet a lot - perhaps for work purposes - then this provider is a viable option. You can get a monthly data plan for comparatively little.
Orange - A more recent addition to the market, Orange was established in 1993 and is a good all-rounder. It's definitely not a bad option, so if you find a good deal near you, consider taking it.
Three - Popular with young people and a rapidly growing network, three offers you a range of services as well as a data plan to suit every budget. Their data management and analytics are also pretty impressive; it has a cutting-edge feel about it - a little sci-fi.
Sim cards are easy to get in the UK. You can even buy them online. Alternatively, you can go to almost any store or supermarket and get a sim card for very cheap. The best option is to purchase a data plan; you could also buy a prepaid sim and load airtime onto the account; however, this can get expensive, so only do so if you are unsure about your plans.
Gambling and Casinos
Gambling has a long history in Scotland, and in the UK in general. Although there are not as many casinos in Scotland when compared to England, there are still a few casinos that are just as impressive as their London counterparts. Edinburgh is the best city for gambling in Scotland - and certainly the most popular. For the ultimate gambling experience in Edinburgh, try the following casinos:
- Casino Aberdeen
- Grosvenor G Casino
- Rainbow Casino
- Soul Casino
Gambling also centres around betting. Soccer, horse racing and greyhound races are popular venues around which gambling takes place, and there are many such locations in Edinburgh. You can also engage remotely through betting agencies who allow you to take part in the fun.
Online gambling is a huge industry in the region of Edinburgh, so much so that the local casinos have even wired their games to the internet. This means that you are even able to get all the thrill of a casino from the comfort of your accommodation. If you would like to get involved, try the following sites:
- Party Casino
- Dream Vegas
- 21 Casino
- Omnia Casino
Pubs are somewhat of a central part of Edinburgh life, so it naturally became a place where people play a few games for fun. Although you shouldn't expect to take massive winnings from pubs, they do provide the venue for a bit of fun - and you can sometimes win a few hundred pounds on a game of darts or billiards.
Weed and Drugs
Wherever there is money, drugs are usually to be found. However, in order to counteract the effects of drugs and the abuse in urban areas, the UK has provided strict guidelines for drug use in the boundaries of the nation. Therefore, before any explanation of what and where you can get, it is important to explain the rules of the game and your chances of being caught should you engage in recreational drugs.
The Legal grounds for prosecution is divided into three main categories. These carry with them designated punishments for the class itself, so if you are caught in possession of a drug within this band of the law, you will be subject to the category's penalty.
Class A deals with more hardcore recreational drugs. Notable entries include cocaine, ecstasy, heroin, crystal meth and magic mushrooms. The penalties for this class are severe - it carries an unlimited fine and a maximum of 7 years imprisonment.
Class B deals more with over-the-counter drugs, such as barbiturates, codeine, Ritalin, ketamine, any form of cannabinoid and methylphenidate. It also provides the guideline for cannabis, so if you are caught in possession of weed, this class is likely to be your penalty. The punishment for possession is an unlimited fine and/or up to 5 years in prison.
Class C is a lot more lenient, and certain drugs are allowed for personal use, such as anabolic steroids; however if you are caught with more mild prescription drugs without an official prescription, this class provides the means for prosecution, which equates to up to 2 years in prison or an unlimited fine.
Needless to say, the laws are strict, so do not get caught and definitely stay clear of the more hardcore varieties. If you get caught in possession of weed, things are likely to be fairly chilled and the full extent of the aw is hardly ever used; however, you will probably be charged with at least a $100 on-the-spot fine.
If you are looking to purchase drugs, it's not as simple as going to a run-down neighbourhood. Your dealer is likely to live in a normal suburb and the way things are run is a lot more efficient than most countries. In the UK, dealers usually have everything, so the guy you buy weed from is also likely to sell you meth or cocaine. Never EVER walk up to a random person and ask if they know where to get drugs. Instead, your best bet is to befriend someone who uses something you like (let's say it's LSD). Find someone using LSD and befriend them. Afterwards, ask them if they wouldn't mind sharing their supplier's number. From there, you can arrange a meeting point, but avoid being too obvious and scaring the dealer off. Most dealers are cautious about being baited by police, because one wrong move can cost them life in prison, so you will usually go through the transaction in a car.
Health, Fitness, Gyms and Massage
The Scottish fitness industry is a fairly big one, and there are more than one way to go about it. Instead of commercial gyms, the natural scenery provides ample opportunity for locals and visitors to burn off a few calories. This includes activities such as hikes and mountain climbing.
If you are looking for a few decent gym options, here are the best gyms to visit in Edinburgh:
- Pure Gym - It has everything - from state-of-the-art cardio machines to a well-equipped weight section. Moreover, Pure Gym is a local staple, so there are plenty of devoted fitness chicks who regularly workout at this venue. It's a really good place to talk to a girl and maybe arrange a date at a later stage.
- XERCISE4LESS - if you are struggling to cram a workout into your budget, then this is the gym for you. It's not quite the worst place to train despite targeting itself as a budget gym. You get one free day pass and the fee starts at only $15. It's well attended by students, which means plenty of girls.
- The Gym - Clean and well put together. The gym is one of those places where many people love to go, and it should be on your bucket list of workout venues too. If you are looking for a reasonably priced workout ($20 per month) with everything you need included, this is a great gym for you.
- University of Edinburgh Gym - If you are looking to catch the eye of some local students, it's definitely the venue for you. It's even a good, functional gym option of you happen to stay in a hostel close by. There are plenty of girls and the layout is fun.
- Virgin Active - one of the premier health clubs in the country, Virgin Active provides a good balance between comfort, sophistication, modern facilities and a general good feel. They provide health food vendors for their clients to grab a post-workout snack. There are plenty of girls here to chat up, so it's definitely a viable option.
- David Lloyd Health Club a premium gym membership for those who have a bit more cash to spend on their monthly gym fees It's a chain that runs throughout the UK; however, the Edinburgh editions offer spectacular views, great facilities and gorgeous locations. There are definitely a few pretty - somewhat wealthier - girls at these gyms.
For outdoor fitness, you can try the following:
There are plenty of outdoor fitness activities for you to try. The first is perhaps the most obvious, but going for a hike is the perfect excuse to invite a local girl to show you the best trails and mountains to discover.
Canoeing is also a great way to get a workout. You can either rent a canoe form an agency online or try booking a tour with a tour guide.
There are several outdoor gyms which you can try, which would allow you to catch a tan and do something productive in the meantime. It's also a great way to spend a part of a date.
STDs and HIV
HIV is a relatively small concern in the United Kingdom. Despite this, a recent report by the government reveals that there has been a recent, small breakout of the virus. The biggest concern was that patients themselves did not know that they had contracted the virus; thus, it was easily spread through a lack of precautionary measures.
Other notable STDs to watch out for include Chlamydia, Syphilis and genital warts. These have been on the rise in recent times, so be careful whenever you have sex. If you meet a girl in a club or any other location, it is important to use a condom. Before having sex, you should have at least a few on hand. Buying condoms is easy; they're available everywhere and it's cheap thanks to government subsidies. Also, girls from poorer areas are more likely to have an STD; she might not even be aware herself.
The Healthcare system in the UK allows you to get access to free tests should you suspect that you have contracted an STD. Visit the closest clinic as soon as possible to get tested should you have engaged in unprotected sex. You will also be given Antiretroviral Treatment if you have come into contact with HIV and a number of other dangerous STDs. The most important thing is to get an early diagnosis.
In general Edinburgh can be considered a safe destination for visitors, but like all other major cities, it pays to remain attentive and use some common sense. Be slightly more wary when visiting the old part of town, as there are many beggars and scam artists who seek to take advantage of tourists. Stay vigilant. Always be mindful of your belongings and avoid leaving valuables in easy-to-reach locations.